1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I like that Harris is using "Harris" as her logo. It bugs me when women politicians almost minimize themselves by using their first names.

As for the economic news....

[​IMG]

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

With apologies to Phillip Roth, it's called "Goodbye, Washington," and starts out, "The first time I saw Donald he asked me to hold his toadstool."

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't asking because Ford has anything to do with recession. That was the point. . ... It was a joke between him and me from yesterday.

We are not in a recession FWIW. But the only reason we haven't seen recession is that our Federal government has run up about $7 trillion in debt over the last 3.5 years with a central bank monetizing record size bond auctions every week. Absent that (and with a deflator that actually reflected prices, not underestimates to juke the numbers, but that would be an additional conversation), people wouldn't be debating how to define recession. They'd just agree that the economy that people actually live in (where they work a job, take home nominal wages and bring them to the store) has been moribund for quite a while now in real terms.

As far as the attempt at connecting Ford's revenues to "recession". ... It wasn't even a good attempt. Revenues are meaningless when your earnings are off 30 percent year over year. Let's say you were calculating GDP-like growth based on 5 shoe salesmen. And let's say they sold shoes for prices that were 5 percent higher than they were selling them last year (i.e. revenue), but the wholesale cost of the shoes and the costs of running the shoe stores went up by 35 percent, so that the owners of the shoe stores lost a boat load of money. You wouldn't point to the 5 percent revenue increase as evidence that the shoe store business is growing.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Maybe, just maybe automakers have sold all the $85-100k pickups they're going to sell.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Much like Starman has latched onto the Studio 54 glitter cowboys story with Trump, I’m not letting go of this one. I’ve seen a lot of spinals in my day but this guy fucks couches, dude. JD Vance is a couchfucker. I’ve never been more certain of anything in my life.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nothing selling a few trillion dollars of 10-year treasury notes, monetizing it, and helicopter dropping the money can't fix. We can keep people flush in $200K pickups and then scratch our heads when half the population is saying they feel financially stressed and drowning in debt.

9. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

"...but you fuck one couch..."

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Geez, can you all just give it some headrest?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are we sure he didn't make love to the couch? You know, tenderly and gently.

Draft saved Draft deleted