1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Did Trump do well? No. But I don’t think this was as terrible of a performance as some others on this board do.

In a few days, most people will have forgotten most of what he said because that’s the world we live in and that’s what we always do with that guy, but he will still be boasting that he showed up to the conference when Kamala didn’t and his media surrogates like Clay Travis, Sage Steele and everyone on FOX News will continue to praise him for standing up to the big, bad Rachel Scott and enduring the so-called sabotage attempts that he was complaining about (late start, bad microphones). Trump appeased his base and he probably earned some credit from some voters by simply showing up and speaking with Black journalists.

I could be very wrong about the long-term impact and how it relates to Trump but as a NABJ member, I absolutely agree with what a poster said above. This was a devastating day for NABJ.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2024
    maumann and HappyCurmudgeon like this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Right on (newly formed) brand:
    x.com

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Obama will no doubt speak at the convention. But to extend the sports metaphors, he's not your opener. He's your closer. Your Mariano Rivera, so to speak.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

This might be the idealist “West Wing” scenario. But I love that show and I hope so too.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Even the White Sox haven't lost as much this summer as Donald Trump has.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"In a few days, most people will have forgotten most of what he said".

I'm betting that a high percentage of Black voters who saw this won't forget. All that "Black Men for Trump" marketing is dead. Black Women? Pffffft.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This isn’t going away and it’s not a positive on any level.

The new Republican tactic is making fun of biracial people, a couple of weeks after choosing a VP candidate who has biracial children.

A reminder: Trump gains nothing by playing to the dumbest, angriest MAGA types. He needs to draw in more moderate people. Stuff like today is a disaster.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

No Donold but what about Old MacDonald?

Old MacDonald lost his house
    MAGA-MAGA-go
    From his house and to a cell
    MAGA-MAGA-Go
    With a guilty guilty here
    Guilty guilty there
    Here guilty there guilty everywhere he’s guilty
    Old MacDonald lost his House
    MAGA-MAGA-Go

9. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

I’m a Black voter. I can assure you that what Trump said today was not what dominated my group chats. Most of the anger expressed in the discussions that I’ve had with Black people today has been directed at NABJ leadership, not Trump. We know what that dude is about and today may not even crack his top-10 list when we are talking about the outrageous things he’s done.

And my guess is that the Black voters who want to vote for Trump will excuse whatever he said today and will excuse whatever he says between now and November. The moderates who want to vote for him will do the same thing. Because if you weren’t already upset about the long list of race-related grievances listed by Rachel throughout the interview, is today really going to change your mind?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Does he ever talk about building his wall or Obamacare anymore? Those were items 1-2 in 2016.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There are worse country songs getting airplay today - but it did sound like it could get airplay - "rhyming" enjoy with joy, passage with message...TODAY's Country.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Today’s interview won’t be the big news for long because the Democrats’ VP rollout is coming either this weekend or early next week. Soon after that it will be convention time. And I actually think that works in their favor. Trump would rather get negative reactions for something he did than have his opponent get positive publicity for something she did. He always needs to be the protagonist to be in his comfort zone.

Draft saved Draft deleted