1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That 100 was great theatre.

Think about the gap between that 9.784 and 8th, .12, and Bolt’s 9.56! Ridiculous.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Cool photo of the 100

IMG_2787.jpeg

3. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

It was serendipity that Peter Jennings and Lou Cioffi, ABC’s correspondent in Cairo, were both at the Olympics. They were on vacation, but were quickly on duty when the attack took place.

Jennings, Howard Cosell and an ABC producer snuck into the Olympic Village for live reports before the helicopter flight to the airport and the deadly conclusion. Then Jennings and Chris Schenkel were on air with Jim McKay when the bad news was relayed from the control room.

maumann likes this.
  4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Stevan Micic is a late scratch for Serbia at 57kg in freestyle wrestling due to a knee injury. He's the current reigning world champion and was the favorite to win gold. He's also from Indiana and was an NCAA runner-up at Michigan. He became the first wrestler to qualify for the Olympics under the Serbian flag at Tokyo.

Even with his departure there are three American-born wrestlers in the 57kg weight class representing different countries: Spencer Lee (USA), Roman Bravo-Young (Mex) and Darian Cruz (PR).

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

great day for Omega

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure the two hairdos from my NBC affiliate on the Paris junket would easily pick up the ball on news.

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Great race. Terrible call by Leigh Diffey. One of those times when you shouldn't anticipate the finish. And never said on air, my fault. Caught up in the moment is one thing. But you're the professional. The need to get it right outweighs the need to be excited.

HanSenSE, da man and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I was a few beers in last night thinking about the 100…

How do you think they handle that race, say, in 1948 in London? I highly doubt the results are the same, but I’m not sure if the Jamaican or the Bronze American would have “won.”

maumann likes this.
  9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In 1904 St. Louis, they would have declared it a tie, made them run a dozen more races in 110-degree heat while giving them nothing other than one shot of brandy, then made them dance as part of their Anthropology Days shows.

UPChip, Pilot, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

American Amit Elor just destroyed the No. 1 seed and reigning world champion Buse Tosun Çavuşoğlu at 68 kg in women's wrestling in the opening round.

Elor was unseeded as she normally competes at 72kg, where she is the 2x reigning world champion. It's incredibly stupid that they had to wrestle in the opening round. That very well could have been the gold medal match if they were in opposite brackets.

Elor is incredible though and she's only 20.

poindexter likes this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Can you imagine having a piece of string across the finish line and trying to determine which chest hit that string first, without the benefit of a slow-motion camera?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted