1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Five-ring circus: The Thread of the XXXIII Olympiad

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 12, 2024.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Something about a little bit of a distance race where you can see the pursuit and the strategy over a period of time makes it so exciting.

That was the first race that got me screaming at the TV

maumann likes this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Hocker got pinched while trying to make the inside pass in the final turn, still gathered it up and stayed on the rail when the leader faded. Sure wish the commentators would explain how difficult that was instead of "it's another banner day for the red, white and blue!"

That's OBVIOUS. We know that. But tell me about the race pace and how the leader faded to the right, leaving just enough room for Hocker, how difficult it is to have your momentum stopped and still have a finishing kick. You're the analysts. You've done the homework -- hopefully -- but again, Diffey and the track experts seem to struggle to add details to what I can see with my own eyes.

For a guy who covers events that have start-finish lines, he sure doesn't seem to have any idea how to provide real-time commentary for them. And he does the same thing for IndyCar as well. It's always a pre-manufactured "Driver X is gold in the California hills!"

EDIT: OK, watching the replay tonight. I was a little harsh on Diffey, who did mention Hocker getting elbowed. And he got the right winner, although took forever to realize USA also got bronze.

The interview with Hocker (which wasn't shown this afternoon) was exactly what I assumed the analysts would pick up on. And they added a completely different replay tonight as well.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
    sgreenwell and MileHigh like this.
  3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Mijain Lopez of Cuba just won his fifth gold medal at 130 kg in Greco-Roman becoming the first athlete in any sport to win the same event five times. The argument about whether he or Aleksandr Karelin is the GOAT international wrestler will go on for the next 20 years, I'm sure.

Left his shoes on the mat, too. Incredible.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

A Nigerian-born Black woman competing for the U.S. whose last name ends in -woke just won the silver in the hammer throw. And they say there's no comedy in the Olympics.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

What a race. I thought he was done for after he got cut off

maumann likes this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I just lost my steeplechase virginity.
    I just watched the last 5 laps of the Womens event.
    Of all the 1200 Olympic events, this has to be the dumbest.
    It’s one thing to run as far as they do, but for them to put up a fence and then the dumbest of all, jumping into what looks like half a kiddie pool……that’s just wrong.

dixiehack and maumann like this.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's been a dreadful track meet for NBC.

maumann likes this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

But, hey, that Maria Taylor investment is finally paying off

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Of all the 7,248 commercials NIKE purchased for these Olympics, the little teaser spot with Kobe is my favorite.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Has she had the kid yet?

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Probably better than using him in a spot that asks, "Am I a bad person?"

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Wow. Gabby Thomas just obliterated the 200 field. What a gorgeous stride. She looked like she was getting faster at the finish line.

Webster and HappyCurmudgeon like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted