1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Twenty-five years ago this summer (!) my first newspaper job was in Russellville. Even then some people were getting itchy because the city was 13 percent Hispanic. (Now it is closer to 40 percent.)

But the thing that always stood out about Russellville was it always went above and beyond to fund its school system, which is separate from the rest of Franklin County. While the rest of rural northwest Alabama was doing the bare-ass minimum, RCS was investing in buildings and staff salaries on par with bigger nearby cities like Muscle Shoals and Florence. And the city believed in funding the system as well as possible.

The article did not elaborate much, but it did mention that the superintendent was pulling in state and federal grants that were making up for a reduction in city funds.

That’s a damn shame. And I don’t think it has occurred to the white town fathers how easily the gains they’ve scratched out the last few decades could not only be reversed but wiped off the map completely if it weren’t for migration from Central America.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2024
  2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

A long read, but well worth every graf. Thanks for posting.

This is a prime example of how racism hides its dirty face however it can.
    And it shows why the rural South sucks. Shame on Russellville's mayor and council.

“People see the world [in terms of] a limited amount of resources. And so they feel, ‘if you’re giving them that amount, then you’re taking away from me.’ ”

Last edited: Aug 6, 2024
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There is no plan.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Love that Walz, a huge sports fan, doesn't take sports too seriously

5. dixiehack

Any day now I expect to learn he has a daughter who looks like Daryl Hannah and is dating a small-town mayor.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Cori Bush lost her primary in Missouri. I know nothing about the race or her opponent. From 5 minutes of scrolling, sounds a lot like the Jamaal Bowman race in New York. Lots of money spent for the opponent over Israel-Palestine.

Bush didn’t have anything like the dumbass fire alarm stunt, but lost anyway.

It does seem to reinforce the Walz pick for VP. Fair or unfair, Gaza would’ve been a major story if it was Shapiro. And a momentum stopper.

Shapiro has a helluva future. And the Dem bench looks stronger than it has in a long while.

franticscribe likes this.
  8. dixiehack

I seem to recall the signs in St. Louis for her opponent hammering on the theme that he would actually show up for votes. Had she been dipping out a lot?

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bet his wife makes a mean hot dish.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I believe I saw that she did miss a lot of votes. And she got some heat for voting against the Biden infrastructure bill.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They've had one for a bit, they've just decided to run the starters into the ground

jr/shotglass and Deskgrunt50 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted