1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not apologizing for any GOPer. Outside of W, the 1st time, I've never voted for a GOP presidential candidate.

I'm explaining what I think happened.

The idea that, in 2016, the Republican Party lined up right away behind Trump is silly. Shit, a million people ran because the party wanted someone, anyone, to track ahead of that guy.

Now, when Trump went into office in 2016, yes, there were establishment folks, competent people, in his cabinet. The idea, if I'm choosing to be charitable about it, was to limit the damage Trump could do. Perhaps behind the scenes that happened. Publicly, the damage has been almost limitless.

OscarMadison, gingerbread and Liut like this.
  2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Clearly the techs at SV Labs forgot to implant the doughnut chip.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Fat Orange again posing with LE dikcheads in AZ, then hosting a gala for J6 protesters at Merde a Bunghole.

Please tell me I'll wake up from this nightmare inside a dream inside a nghtmare.

gingerbread likes this.
  4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

So you won’t be bidding on the silent auction?

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Of course I didn't mean the GOP electorate. poin cut the quote tweet off right before I wrote "GOP voters did."

I meant the party apparatus. Which is what I wrote. The Republican Party.

gingerbread likes this.
  6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Oh man does that hit home. My mom was a kindergarten teacher, fwiw. Funny thing is, I think she's very much like my kid, only undiagnosed. All my life everyone would tell me how awesome she was at the school. But at home we got complete restraint collapse from her at the end of the day and it was ugly. I know it's hard for people to see themselves, but all I'm trying to do is help my kid develop the tools to get through those times that no one ever bothered to teach her (or me until I sought it out in adulthood). And I'm so impressed watching him use the tools we've worked on to manage those times, too.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's awkward, I suppose, but he obviously wanted to rush things along and fill the order to get the hell out of there.

This is a person deeply mismatched to the moment at hand.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I actually know the person at the Strib who did that head. A little too familiar for me, but I get that they're trying to sell papers. In fact, as an employee of a Minnesota newspaper that isn't the Star Tribune, they're trying pretty hard to sell papers at my expense these days.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

A way back from Trump but a way to...what? The fuck another voice going to do? There will be a NEW TONE but the marketplace of ideas will be stocked with:

• Mexicans are taking our jobs, raping our women, and poisoning us with Chinese fentanyl
    • Blacks need only comply with police and it would also be nice if they stayed in their own neighborhoods
    • Gays are child molesters lying in wait and, in the meantime, the trans community is illicitly racking up athletic accolades
    • Whatever the question, "more guns" is the answer
    • Teachers need to be armed to protect the children they are grooming for the gays
    • Y'all need to get over colonization and slavery and stop teaching that nonsense which is all lies
    • The Bible is not all lies and should be taught in every school and the grooming teachers should see the Ten Commandments in the atrium every day when they enter the door of the jobs they're massively overpaid for
    • Taxes are stealing, corporations are people, and regulations are making us a third-world country
    • A woman's place is where a man tells her to be and if pregnancy was so rough they wouldn't have all that energy to give so much lip about abortions in the first place
    Subway replaced Jared but it's still peddling the same food-like product it has for years.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The "way back" would involve some unforced Watergate-style error from the Democrats, who were hopeless after McGovern, with no particular path ahead, until Watergate and Ford's pardon cleared a four-year path for Carter.

Otherwise, there is no way back. The GOP is hopeless. There is no candidate for 2028. It'll be a Mondale level event.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

BREAKING: I have gotten word from a source about tonight's surprise DNC performance. They didn't get Beyonce or Taylor but locked down something bigger: 1990s ska sensations Reel Big Fish will play Vice President Harris onto the stage to accept the nomination.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I listened to David Axelrod’s podcast during the 2016 cycle and I remember Lindsay Graham came on for an interview during the primary season when he was at the kids table debate. This was Meet the Press Lindsay and he came across as intelligent, thoughtful and pretty reasonable. Within a year, he totally abandoned that to become bootlicker in chief. Gov. Sandwiches could have destroyed Trump’s fitness for office in the debates but he was afraid to piss off his voters. Same with Cruz. It wasn’t that Trump was playing 4-D chess, it was that the rest of them weren’t savvy enough to play checkers with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted