1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure Harris's staff had to fight to get her interviews from 1/20/21 until Biden dropped out because VPs are not considered newsworthy. She'd only be human to have that in the back of her mind. As for policy, that's bullshit. Abortion rights, which she mentions in every speech, is a policy. So are aid to Ukraine and price caps on prescription drugs. What the media calling for "policy" from Harris really mean is "tell us where you think Biden sucked." Which she will not do.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Even with her VP duties, I don't think there was any way she was doing a sitdown before the convention. They wanted all their ducks in a row -- making sure she'd get all the delegate support, making her VP choice, lock in whatever debate they were going to have and use the convention as the major rollout.

Labor Day complicates airing something Sunday to maximize viewers but I bet she has one for sure the Sunday before the debate.

gingerbread, HanSenSE and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trump is the biggest chicken from the standpoint of human-poultry hybrids.

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

While, yes, I think she needs to do some interviews, I think many of us on this board know that interviews are never guaranteed. Certain media have to get off the idea that “she needs to talk to me.” In an age of horse race coverage, all an interview does is check a box. You can cover a stump speech and write about policy. You can cover a series of speeches and public statements and build out what a candidate says she stands for and put it into context for readers/listeners/viewers. Yes, an interview allows time to expand on those, forces a candidate to defend her positions and shows how she can think on her feet. But it’s not the end all.

Also, I need someone to clarify … does she have a traveling press corps with her now and does she answer their questions or even talk to them off the record? If so, she’s doing interviews. She’s just not sitting down on camera for CNN/MSNBC/FOX or doing a full-length NYT interview. But if she’s ignoring those traveling with her, that’s probably not great.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Harris has been answering questions at stops. And she’ll sit down for a formal interview, probably a few. I think she should and will. Not sure how much the voting public actually cares.

Once she does it that, the trumplicans will come up with a new outrage. It’s so fucking predictable. We’ve been watching the same tired, shitty movie for 9 years.

I doubt trump backs out of the debate. With the Harris momentum, he needs to do something to change the trajectory. It sounds like he’s scheming to change the rules so his mic won’t get cut and he can talk over her and lie nonstop. Again.

He’s also scared of debating a prosecutor and wants his fans in the building to run interference.

If I’m Harris, I insist on the format already agreed to.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Donald Trump seems to be successfully pivoting to a new tone based on his recent comments about Hannibal Lecter's views on abortion. Meanwhile, Vice President Harris is spiraling after her repeated failures to save the Kobayashi Maru.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Have ANY artists ever issued a cease and desist - or even complained - about a Dem candidate using their song? The closest I can think of is Trevor Rabin just wishing someone would ask about using Titan Spirit - he'd be cool with it - but you know. Ask.

https://www.score-movie.com/single-...sing-his-remember-the-titans-theme-and-not-te

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Isaac Hayes family is suing as well.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That was my thought, too. He really wants to be able to talk through Harris and continuously shut down any momentum she builds.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Very well done.

My late father worked for RFK's Justice Department for a few months in 1963-64, before he took another journalism gig.

My late father always will be my hero.

Bobby would have been a GREAT president.

Draft saved Draft deleted