1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2024 golf thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by playthrough, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think it’d be awesome for it to be a permanent stop.
    When I was out there in 99, it was the week after Tiger won the PGA at Medinah. Field was stacked.
    Tiger, Phil, Duval, Els, Sergio, Vijay etc etc.
    If memory serves……it was the week after the PGA and the week before Bridgestone.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly this. Plus, going from altitude to a major didn't help things.

The golf market is quite strong here and when events come through, they are highly supported. See last year's U.S. Amateur at Cherry Hills, among others. An annual stop would easily be supported here.

Typist Clerk likes this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This is why the Hardy family stopped the 84 Lumber Classic. PGA originally gave them a fall date that competed against college football and the NFL but said they would move it to fall, then changed their minds.

4. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

It was a fun week, though the hills were a bit much for me. I wasn't born a mountain goat.

MileHigh likes this.
  5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

As Tony Soprano once said, "This is why we have a fixed-bid club. Because everyone has a story."

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

All Maggie Hardy wanted was what should have been given to her Fawwwtha.

7. MileHigh

Totally understand. But I did see some mountain goats when I went up Mount Evans/Blue Sky a couple of weeks ago before it closes for two years.

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Absolutely miserable weather at East Lake the past two days but typical for late August in Atlanta. I had an appointment halfway between here and the golf course and it was 95 in the shade. It was 91 here in the mountains until about an hour ago, when we got a severe thunderstorm that cooled things off about 15 degrees.

Can't imagine walking that golf course in this heat, let alone carrying a 50-pound bag.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It’s not often a player has a season like Xander Schauffele, great all year and won two majors… and he’s clearly not Player of the Year.

Scottie Scheffler was so dominant. And the whole arrest saga. One year of Tiger-like prime.

Despite all of the business issues, it was a helluva fun season for golf fans.

10. MileHigh

Alas, the business issues need to get solved pronto.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wow, Scheffler won $25 million yesterday. Truly riveting stuff. I am sure the $25 million will change his life in exactly zero ways.

maumann likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Monahan said the word "fans" in some form more than 50 times at his pre-Tour Championship press conference. After the first few times it moved way past lip service into straight b.s. The Tour's product is so mediocre but gets bailed out by great players and rides the coattails of the majors, which it has nothing to do with.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted