1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Was just going to note that too. James Wood is a prime example. He's becoming one of my favorite players, in a large part because of his dad, a fellow Spidah.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

HanSenSE, Liut, matt_garth and 2 others like this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know. I was commenting on selecting Dylan Crews No. 2 overall once Skenes went No. 1, which was so obvious a decision it could be used in a Capital One commercial.

5. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

As J.P. Ricciardi said, 'You can trade Doc (Halladay), but you're not getting Doc back.' Many of these return prospects eventually lose the glint.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting -- an excellent read.

On a personal level, my wife works with stroke patients as a physical therapy assistant. I'll share this with her.

And somewhere I still have an autographed Chet Lemon baseball card, when he was signing for kids in Comiskey Park during the 1980 season. Fortunately for him, he was traded to Detroit a year or two later and was part of their World Championship team.

I wish him and. his family the best -- hopefully this weekend's event will be therapeutic for him.

2muchcoffeeman, Hermes, Liut and 2 others like this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

And Kyle Drabek (-0.1 WAR) was the only player the Blue Jays got for Halladay who played in Toronto. D'Arnaud, who has a World Series ring but never became an everyday catcher b/c of injuries, was flipped for R.A. Dickey while Michael Taylor*** ended up bouncing around w/the A's and White Sox.

***Had absolutely no knowledge of Michael (not A.) Taylor before this

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Liut likes this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Well, you magnificent bastard, the Mets went 4-3 against the Padres and Diamondbacks. So, do they get swept against the White Sox, or do they eke out one game?

Tylor Megill gets the spot start on Friday....

Last edited: Aug 29, 2024
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

maumann and Liut like this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I realize Cleveland has it worse, but it's sobering to think only a handful of my 1968 heroes are alive from when I was 10, and some of the guys from the 1984 team have died or have serious illnesses from when I was 26. I would never in my wildest dreams believe Detroit would be 40 years and counting since we overturned police cars and burned them.

This is sadly like the dwindling roster of astronauts who walked on the moon. At some point, the Tigers better win another championship before the last one left turns out the lights. Or I find my way through the field of corn to whatever's on the other side of the diamond.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You're reliving how I felt in 2002 after living through 1989, no parade in sight......ah but alas, better days were ahead. Maybe so for De-Twah too?? Keep the faith.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted