1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 1 College Football Thread: Seven Years of College Station Down the Drain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2024.

1. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

Seems like MAC schools and the like chased a big-time dream - and sometimes had favorable results - but the system is stacked against them. I agree that they would be better off playing on Saturday afternoons in reasonably sized stadiums with the focus on campus, community and so forth. But, that may be unlikely as they continue to chase dollars.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

S-U-X!

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Would Wyoming, AFA, CSU or Nevada fans really miss not playing on CBSSN at 7:30 p.m. in November? Would Boise State fans miss playing half of their schedule on Thursday or Friday nights?

Streaming makes those awful kickoff times unnecessary, if it can be monetized enough.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

We were told attending sporting events were free in the early 2000s. Check the fine print of your tuition and you were paying about $600 a year to athletics. I’m sure that has only gone up. It’s why I blanched when MAC schools like the one I attended claimed NCAA tournament appearances and bowl game appearances were like “free advertising” for the university.

They weren’t free. They were just shouldered by the students — most of whom would never watch a minute of a game.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Might miss the checks.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You get scheduled butt whippings early from the conferences that stole your starting quarterback the preceding preseason and frigid weeknights late in exchange for the honor of existing.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2024
    Dog8Cats likes this.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, which is why the post had another line.

"Streaming makes those awful kickoff times unnecessary, if it can be monetized enough."

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No one asked you.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I never want to hear the phrase "Daddy time in the tub" again.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So everybody outside of Boulder is rooting for North Dakota State tonight, right?

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I was still in school at Central when MACtion as we know it was first coined. My last rivalry game vs. Western as a student was played on a Friday night (when it rained sideways. I think my clothes from that game are still wet but I digress).

Here's the thing about MACtion. They actually have it timed out fairly well. The Tuesday and Wednesday games don't start until the first of November, which in many of these locations is when the weather has basically turned irreparably anyway.

Even then, unless you're in contention for the title, attendance for most of those games has already nose-dived. Yeah, some of it has to do with Michigan and/or MSU, but a lot of these students at schools like Central are going home on the weekends unless there's a special occasion, and freezing your ass off to watch a four-win team is not a special occasion. For example, Nov. 20, 2004, CMU hosted Ball State (in a game that pitted none other than Brian Kelly in his first year with the Chips against Brady Hoke in his second at Testicle Tech). Chips spotted BSU 27 points, then pulled them all back by halftime and ended up winning a 41-40 thriller. I'm pretty sure my roommate and I had a lot of wide open space in the student section to get behind the guys, and that we did. I don't think I missed a home football game in five seasons in MP (graduated in 4 1/2 years).

Attendance? 10,169. Heck, even when the weather was decent, CMU's only other non-rivalry conference home game that year was on Sept. 18 and drew 12,292 against Kent State. That CMU team went 4-7 (Ball State was 2-9) and had both Matt LaFleur and Robert Saleh as grad assistants.

My point is MACtion kicks in when the value of the inventory sinks to such a level that the value of getting uninterrupted time on an ESPN network supersedes that of having an even meager gate.

Hermes likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Rutgers QB looks a helluva lot like the Minnesota QB from last year who wasn't any good.

Come to think of it...

Draft saved Draft deleted