1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 1 College Football Thread: Seven Years of College Station Down the Drain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2024.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yep.

Just like everyone outside of Stillwater is rooting for South Dakota State on Saturday.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

In Little Rock, the water is not working in the press box. No flushing toilets. No water fountains.

And the AC is out.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Whoa! Hope they're not serving pulled pork at halftime.

I Should Coco and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Games I like this week:
    • Tennessee -38.5 vs. Chattanooga — A big number, but the past few years Tennessee hasn’t crapped the bed until Week 2.

• Ohio State O58.5 vs. Akron — Thought about doing the “rover and over” parlay here with Akron +48.5, but this thing has 56-7 written all over it. Ohio State can probably get close to the 58.5 on its own, so we’ll stick with the over.

• Ole Miss O60.5 vs. Furman — Another total that seems a little low since Ole Miss can hit it on its own.

• Arizona -31 vs. New Mexico — New Mexico scored two defensive touchdowns against Montana State and got another on a very well-executed play fake/bootleg. Those are tricks that you can’t bank on, and don’t work against a better team.

• Washington -26 vs. Weber State — I know Washington is entering a whole new era, but this line feels low for playing an FCS team.

• LSU -4.5 vs. USC — This is the fifth year in a row that I’m telling myself LSU should win its opener against a P5 team. I’ll keep telling myself it’ll happen until they stop leaving a mess all over the bed.

And some games I want to like, but can’t:
    • Miami -2.5 at Florida — Just not sure what to make of these two, who might face each other again in something like the Music City Bowl.

• Clemson +13.5 vs. Georgia — I like Clemson to keep this relatively close, and I’d like it a whole lot better if that line was +14 or +14.5.

• UNLV +2.5/+146 ML at Houston — UNLV was one of my favorite plucky undervalued underdogs last year. I just don’t know if they’re still that and it’s not a bad idea to remind yourself that last year’s team is not this year’s team.

• Oregon -43.5 vs. Idaho — I like the Ducks, but that number is entering “Danger, Will Robinson!” territory. Over 59.5 is a possibility, though.

• Wyoming +7 at Arizona State — A couple of late-night favorites, but I think the Arizona-New Mexico game better scratches that itch.

ª UCLA -14 at Hawaii — One way or another, this feels like a game that’s frustratingly close all the way through and probably ends with a backdoor cover of some sort. I might bet on it if it had an 11 p.m. kickoff, but at 6:30 I don’t need that stress in my life.

maumann likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a college version of a Survivor pool. But you would have to pick 3 teams in the top 25 each week (no repeats through the season).

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

F-U-K

Y-O-U

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I’d be down for that.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

LOL! Running out of shotgun on 4th and inches. Nice job, Coach Prime.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

UNC-Minnesota should give all the NIL donors for these programs refunds.

10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

That's good stuff. Maybe it's where I'm located, but the two area MAC schools in this market have trouble getting 10,169 for an entire season. The biggest crowd at Akron's stadium this year would have been for the annual game between St. LeBron and Archbishop Hoban, but that series has been discontinued. Still, a batch of prep playoff games will sell more tickets than any combination of Zips contests. And in my classes, students will wear Ohio State gear like they're at the wrong campus, outnumbering the home team by a 20-1 margin. ... When I was a student, I attended one game, which is one more than I've attended since. There's literally no buzz, ever. The Buckeyes rule, which is unfortunate, because I hate them.

With scholarship limits increasing next year, by the way, this is only going to get worse. MAC teams will get fewer good players and, as we know already, those they do get won't stay.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Certainly, there has to be a 14-year-old HVAC tech they can call to fix the problem.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Colorado will come back and win…..somewhere in the 41-34….41-37 range.
    But I’d bet folding money this is Deion’s last year in Boulder.
    He came out here. He got his kid into the draft as a first round pick. He got his kids richer than they’d ever thought. He’s done.

exmediahack and tapintoamerica like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted