1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 1 College Football Thread: Seven Years of College Station Down the Drain

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2024.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Refs just stole the win from Florida Atlantic.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

At what point are Wisconsin’s problems not about whoever is coaching?

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Big Ten football … more teams, same mediocrity!

4. dixiehack

If you are the MAC team going for it on fourth and a yard, don’t send everybody piling into the middle like Pickett’s Charge.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So true. These are the consequences of being a MAC team. You try that and get reminded that their guys are getting paid and yours aren’t.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Maybe a better note for the gambling thread, but I’m reading Rafael Cruz will attend the aTm game.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Watch FS1 and learn that Kamala Harris is a San Francisco liberal.

Big Ten definitely unimpressive tonight against bad G5 teams.

Stanford fans clearly as excited about ACC football as they were about Pac-12 football. The whole upper deck looks empty. And has any program fallen further than TCU since 2022?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2024
  8. dixiehack

Democrats burn their ad budgets on the Olympics; Republicans burn theirs on college football. Probably speaks to the demographics of each.

I did chuckle at the GOP ad for North Carolina governor Thursday night. Apparently they were taking no chances on missing a Carolina school, because it also aired during Coastal-Jax State. You know, for the 10 people in Calabash whose rooting interests are located across the state line.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
  9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The quarterback slid before the first down BUT the personal foul and unsportsmanlike conduct were a continuation of the play! You can't call it loss of down AND then assess penalties. It's not a dead ball foul, no matter how the referees tried to spin it.

Talk about home cooking. The Spartans are bad this year. Like 3-9 bad.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If as described, that is the correct procedure.

Once the slide begins, the player is down, the play is over. He's short of the first down, the result of the play is turnover on downs. After he begins his slide, he gets hit, then you assess the yardage, but the result of the play is still a turnover on downs. Just like if the player is running out of bounds but comes up short.

11. dixiehack

10-plus hours to kickoff and I am sweating my life away in a parking lot in Tuscaloosa, wearing a neon yellow shirt and preparing to tell people they probably can’t park here, all for the sake of knocking a few bucks off my daughter’s dance tuition.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete at this time.

Hermes, Chef2, HanSenSE and 2 others like this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Keep your head on a swivel

Liut and dixiehack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted