1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Casey Kasem AT40 Memories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Sep 16, 2024.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

On Sunday mornings (and at night) a local station replays America's Top 40 with Casey Kasem episodes from certain weeks in the 80's.

I then discovered first on YouTube then Spotify that I can find and listen to whole episodes myself.

Man, that brings back memories of waiting for Casey to show up on Sunday's and reveal who had the #1 hit for that week. (I couldn't afford to subscribe to Billboard and it wasn't at the library).

I know Casey wasn't the greatest guy to work with (I've heard a couple excerpts) unlike say Dick Clark.

It's very nostalgic for me. Any other fans here?

PS Hearing the songs and how nationwide the hits were makes me think that the segregation of genres today on any format has contributed to the lack of cohesion in our country nowadays. Just a hypothesis.

I Should Coco, maumann and Driftwood like this.
  2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I remember hearing Jump was No. 1 at a JC Pennys.

garrow likes this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I listen to the 80s on 8 big 40 from the original MTV VJs almost every weekend for the same reason.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

"Bette Davis Eyes" was No. 1 for a long damn time.

garrow likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Were you not here for the previous iteration of @YMCA B-Baller? This is his Bat Signal.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan and listen to them on Sirius XM 70s channel. Which female artist with a name ending in T had the most top 40 records in the 1960s? The answer when we return.

maumann and qtlaw like this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Fucking ponderous.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The thing I remember from Casey Kasem was "Always on My Mind" was the only song to be in the Top Ten three times.

10. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

(Sees bat signal ... spits out popcorn ...)

You guys can have Casey 24/7. iHeart free app has a Classic American Top 40 channel where his 70s and 80s countdowns play on a continuous loop.

Hear! Casey do Long Distance Dedications!
    Hear! Casey go full cheese to recite lyrics after the song is over! (More a 70s thing, but he did it in the 80s once in a while too.)
    Hear! Casey tell stories about bands more than likely made up by their management team or record label!
    Hear! Casey explain hip-hop terms! (Late-period Casey, but a gold mine when you hear it.)

Now? On with the countdown ...

11. YMCA B-Baller

Right now, Al Martino's "Volare" is No. 33 on what I presume is an early 1970s countdown.

Edit: Holy shit! It's a disco version of "Volare"! So I amend my guess to 1976-77-ish. This is why countdowns exist!

What I honestly love about countdowns is that they strip away the inaccuracy of nostalgia. Sure, there are big songs you knew were big. There are also songs you forgot ever got big as they did because modern radio ignores them. And vice versa.

"Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey only reached No. 9, for example.

Edit: The song after "Volare" is "Over My Head" by Fleetwood Mac, so this is 1975.

12. YMCA B-Baller

Countdown is Dec. 20, 1975. Good era for the countdown. It's senior year in "Dazed And Confused". Someone go get Ben Affleck his paddle.

Draft saved Draft deleted