1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 20, 2024.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That is absolutely remarkable, and something that nobody even dared to dream of a generation ago. Not even Mantle had that combination of power and speed. Not Mays.

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

I've always kind of low-key enjoyed the Brewers. I went to a game at then-Miller Park in 2010. A random mid-week August game against the Dodgers. Brewers were already under-500 and not going anywhere fast. Still drew like 35K for a fucking Tuesday night special. I left thinking that house is fun place to be when those guys are good.

Gutter likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Make it 6-for-6 with 10 RBI. And two steals.
    My initial reaction was that this has to be the greatest single-game performance in MLB history. Then I checked to make sure. Hard-Hittin' Mark Whiten went 5-for-5 with four HR and 12 RBI in the second game of a doubleheader on 9/7/1993. Handsome Jim Bottomley had a 6-for-6, two-HR, 12 RBI game 100 years and three days ago. Neither of those slackers stole a base in those games, however.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

The biggest thing for me with Ohtani is that I'm glad fans can universally enjoy him and what he's doing. I admit to enjoying the wild "steroid" era of the late 90s and early 2000s. I liked them all, but I absolutely understood why people were turned off by it.

But Ohtani....How can not enjoy this guy? In such a short time he's given so many great performances. Whether it was pitchng the ninth and closing out the WBC or his MVP seasons and now 50/50. This is the guy that we tell our grandkids about the way our grandfathers told us about the guys they grew up watching.

5. tapintoamerica

Ohtani becomes the first player to drive in ≥ 8 runs while stealing multiple bases in a game. Previous record for RBI in a multi-steal game (7) achieved by three players: Mickey Mantle, Brandon Phillips and Gary Sheffield.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Anthony Rendon had 14 RBI in 206 at bats this season. Sho had 10 RBI in six today.

Oh Angels

Last edited: Sep 19, 2024 at 11:01 PM
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Ohtani stuff is sick, sick, sick. Super cool to watch.

qtlaw likes this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Rocky Top!

9. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Doesn’t field, throw or pitch. Seems pretty average to me.

10. tapintoamerica

WAR. What is it good for? According to Wins Above Replacement, Ohtani's season thus far is roughly the 500th best in history. His WAR before today was 7.3 -- appreciably less awesome than the unforgettable 2017 campaign of the Angels' Andrelton Simmons (7.9).

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I was in Detroit for my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary in 1975. Dad decided to take us boys to Tiger Stadium for one game. So I was there when Fred Lynn had the three-homer, triple, single, 10 RBI night in a 15-1 romp by the Red Sox over the Tigers.

Every ball he hit that night was a rocket, including one off the roof in right. However, unlike Ohtani, he did make one out.

That's the closest I come to seeing that kind of performance.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's because he's dinged for being a DH. He'd be closer to 9.0 if he played the field.

Draft saved Draft deleted