1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BCS leagues expanding - yeah?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 19, 2010.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Then, f*** the AAC guys and take three MWC programs who want to join the party and will do everything they can to see the new league prosper, instead of taking two or three teams that are already looking over their shoulders at something else and might have one foot already out the door.

And definitely f*** South Florida.

MileHigh likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The problem with that is that the four MWC shcools who jumped were trying to get shed of the bottom of the conference, consider themselves the cream of the crop, and likely won't go for it.

My guess is that Memphis is why the 6Pac deal is including a five year GOR, in case something shakes loose with the ACC or B12. UAB has shared a conference with USF a long time, and for years they have talked more and done less with more than anyone in the conference with the possible exception of ECU.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I think a key is can they really do what is needed to be a best of the rest? Play for an almost annual football playoff berth? Get at least double in media rights that the rest of the nonpower teams get? Keep building it to more?

The potential is there but they have to get the right pieces. The USF stuff that has popped up, I suppose is interesting, but does it help this group to be coast-to-coast? Does it matter if they aren't if they add Memphis and Tulane since it goes most of the way there anyway?

The four MW schools definitely wanted to get away from some of the other MW schools. I don't think that is a question. So there is grass is greener stuff there too. But they have to make all of the above happen or it is just a lateral move with a brand name that doesn't really mean much anymore. I think I have said before that you'd think they have some sort of assurances or guarantees (on other schools, the media rights, whatever) to make these moves. Especially for the costs. But I don't know if anyone really thinks about anything before doing in college sports these days.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’d take South Florida before Tulane. Maybe before Memphis, except that you need a second Eastern team to keep up the pretense of geographic coherence.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

You'll find little support for that travel budget.

OTOH, Tulane can't even get a practice bubble built on campus, so...

6. micropolitan guy

I really think most Pac-2/6 fans want to keep the footprint in the MST/PST time zone. Of course, this is just anecdotal, but I haven't talked to anyone who is really thrilled about Memphis or Tulane. And certainly not South Florida.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If you're going to add South Florida, just bring back Stanford and Cal and have USF join the ACC.

You're losing money on that travel, so what's the point.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Perhaps at some point the Six-PAC will decide it can’t be all the things and be all the places and pick off 2-4 more MWC schools, or maybe a pair from Texas mixed in.

You can’t live your life pining for the Bay Area schools to come back like a girlfriend who left you to move cross country. And she was kind of a mousy girlfriend anyway and the relationship was really more about trying to hold on to the past instead of facing a scary new world. Time to make the best of life and move on.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The Pac 12 is really, really desperate if it's throwing itself at Memphis. Reprobates.
    NCAA team championships: 0
    NCAA major infractions convictions: 8

HanSenSE and micropolitan guy like this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'd definitely take South Florida. New football stadium on its way. More stable than Tulane. Doesn't have the baggage of Memphis.

11. micropolitan guy

Who knows what is true. Latest rumor I'm reading on beaveridiotboard.com is, the Pac-2/6 is negotiating with the MWC to reduce the $10 million acquisition fee in exchange for a promise not to take any more teams, which would probably kill the conference.

CSU is undoubtedly a better potential property than Wyoming, market-wise, but the Pokes have absolutely owned the Border War the last 15 years (11-4) and are 7-1 in the last eight meetings.

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

CSU has been abysmal in football for the last decade and really since Sonny Lubick was done. The last three football coaches have all been the same story. Don't even get me started on rivalries. After the crap CU showing on Saturday, it is something like 3-20 since 2015 (CU, Wyoming and Air Force).

But on paper the school has all the potential in the world. The new administration is serious about being something. Easier said than done. And basketball has been pretty good.

MileHigh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted