1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Icebox is smiling somewhere… girls flag football comes to PA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Sep 18, 2024 at 7:18 PM.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mississippi's private school league has girls soccer, softball, volleyball, swimming and cross country in the fall, as well as cheerleading and dance teams. The only winter sport is basketball, and the only spring sports are track and golf. It makes no sense.
    One of our schools, with a student population of probably 250 or so, tries to offer everything on the menu and has a lot of girls playing two or three sports right now. Some are doing three or even four. I have no idea how they balance that and manage any kind of schoolwork.
    If they try to add flag football in the fall, you might have ADs marching on the association's offices with torches and pitchforks.

The public school association is more balanced with the seasons. Soccer is a winter sport and softball is in the spring. Volleyball has taken hold as a popular fall sport, though, and a lot of the female athletes have graduated toward it. I'm sure if/when there is enough demand they'd add flag football in some form, but I imagine it'd hurt volleyball — especially at the smaller schools — because it'd be pulling from the same limited talent pool.

Someone else also mentioned officials, which is a big logistical issue. There are football games being played somewhere Monday through Friday when you factor in middle school, ninth-grade, JV and varsity games. They're already spread thin. Trying to add another layer of games on top of that might be the breaking point.
    You also start to run short of coaches and fields.
    These are not insurmountable hurdles, but they are things I'm sure each state has to consider.

Draft saved Draft deleted