1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite Speaker You’ve Seen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Sep 19, 2024 at 1:58 AM.

1. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Memphis State University had a great speakers bureau. Davis-Kidd booksellers in Nashville was another source of seeing great minds in the wild. Vanderbilt University still has a lot to offer.

Richard Leakey was more enjoyable than he should have been. He took it in stride when the promotional poster featured a beauty shot of Lucy.

Wade Davis was the anti-Indiana Jones. I was prepared to endure his speech for my boyfriend. I still have my signed copy of Serpent and the Rainbow and every other book he wrote.

Alice Walker was quiet, powerful, and made me fall in love with Zora Neale Hurston's story.

Will D. Campbell still makes me want to be a better person than I can be.

So does Tony Campolo.

Angelique Kidjo made me understand why people believed in mermaids,

Last edited: Sep 20, 2024 at 6:54 PM
  2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Norman Schwarzkopf, 1994, Orlando. Unfortunately, he was there as part of a big gathering for a major MLM company. So a lot of drivel before and after his speech, but he was amazing to hear.

Draft saved Draft deleted