1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Well, we still have power and water this morning -- for now. We're actually a bit lucky, being in between the two remaining heavy bands of Helene. It actually stopped raining for an hour (for the first time in a couple of days) and the wind gusts we're getting are no stronger than a typical summer thunderstorm.

Again, that could change as the rotation of what's left swings back around over us. But I have a hot cup of coffee and the Internet. And the Twins lost.

Baron Scicluna, UPChip, Liut and 7 others like this.
  3. maumann

Jinx! As soon as I hit send, boom. Hello, darkness, my old friend.

Liut, Batman, MileHigh and 3 others like this.
  4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Power went out here (Greenville, SC) about 6:30 am. One wind gust of 60 mph at the downtown airport. Impressive rainfall, but winds so far have been in the “could-be-worse” category.

Liut and maumann like this.
  5. Driftwood

1. Western NC getting hammered with record flooding.
    2. Reports say our lake could see a 20-foot rise, and our river will hit its highest since 2004.
    3. I realize they take all advertising, but I am tired of seeing Mike Huckabee pitching whatever crap he is selling on Weather Channel, and FU to the guy selling "Patriot" generators.

6. Driftwood

7. Driftwood

Daylight footage rolling in from Cedar Key.
    Hope Travis McGee is OK.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Just finished a different type of doomscrolling, where you go down your roster of Facebook friends, then click on the ones from Orlando up through north Georgia to see if anyone has posted the “we’re ok” update. A handful showed up as having logged in within the last few hours but nobody posting so far.

EDIT: My friend who stayed behind in Tallahassee just posted that the lights are on and he’s ok.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2024 at 8:15 AM
  9. FileNotFound

Large tree just went down next door, blocking our cul-de-sac. Doesn’t seem to have hit anything other than the road — just missed the house across the street.

maumann likes this.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

11. maumann

(Power's back on!)

A lot of coastal South Carolina and Georgia lost power because of tornado activity. That seemed to be a major byproduct of the outer bands.

Haven't seen images from Florida yet, other than some stuff posted late on Twitter. Now that's the sun's up, I imagine it's pretty gory in places like Perry.

Not seeing any new trees down from an initial glance around the property. I moved the cars to the end of the driveway in case one blocked me in. The only casualty is a massive migrane from the change in pressure.

Gwen's basically sleeping through the whole thing. She's the smart one.

12. FileNotFound

The winds are now worse. Three large trees down, including one which rests on my elderly neighbors’ house next door. (They’re ok.) My cousin, who has lived in Greenville since 1999 and is a former TV reporter, says he has never seen weather like this. I lived in the Tampa Bay area for 15 years, and the last time I’ve seen weather like this was during Frances in 2004, the eye of which passed directly over my house.

Draft saved Draft deleted