1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Mar 16, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That stretch of I-40 should never have been built. Usually the issue is that the slopes through there are completely unsuitable for highway use and there are frequent rockslides (which are really more like boulders).

The rumor is that when construction started in the 50s or 60s, some Haywood County politician used his connections to get it routed away from the natural pass that US 70 follows and onto the new terrain route. They’ve been fighting a losing war of attrition with geology ever since.

Driftwood likes this.
  2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I've been offline most of the afternoon. Sometime around 11 a m. the NCDOT announced that all roads in Western North Carolina should be considered closed. All. Never seen anything like that.

I-40 east of Asheville is also impassable, leaving Asheville pretty isolated.

My friends in Boone have had a rough day, but everyone is accounted for. My family in Pisgah Forest smartly left town.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Downtown Chimney Rock has five feet of mud in it.

4. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

One thing I did like about crossing the mountains on I-40 is that it’s harrowing, but you get it over with quickly. This in comparison to going to the Carolinas via West Virginia, where it’s not as steep or curvy, but you’re in it forever.

I did I-40 in a snowstorm last time I did it. White-knuckled it, but got over it OK.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Hate it and only use I-40 between Newport, Tenn. and Maggie Valley, N.C. when absolutely necessary. White knuckle ride on a bright, sunshiny day. I never really have much reason to be through there, but when I do, I freakin' hate it.

6. Driftwood

My county is under curfew from 9 p.m.-9 a.m. We just lost one bridge, and two more are expected to go any time. All bridges over the river except one are closed.

franticscribe likes this.
  7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

My word. All the best to everyone affected. Some of the stuff being reported is devastating.

8. Driftwood

Crap. I have video of the bridge washing out but can't seem to post it.

9. Driftwood

JFC. I hate people.
    The local boo birds are out in force on the socials claiming the two bridges washed away are fake....DESPITE VIDEO ON LOCAL NEWS OUTLETS. Well, drive your dumb ass across there in the dark and get back to me.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

These are the same sorts of people who will die trying to cross a bridge that doesn't exist, then those don't die at the scene blame outlets for not giving them a warning.

Fine over here. Hope everyone in or near the path is OK or finding a way. It's Bizarro World because this part of the state is fine whereas points west are obviously affected.

Driftwood likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Both I-26 and I-40 between Tennessee and North Carolina are officially toast.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted