1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pete Rose is dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 30, 2024 at 7:06 PM.

1. nickp

nickp Active Member

Shame on Bud Selig, Rob Manfred, and everyone in MLB that kept Pete Rose out of the Hall of Fame!

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The saving catch he made when Boone dropped that foul pop in the World Series was huge.

Slacker and BTExpress like this.
  3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Before I heard about the teenager, I thought posthumous only was an appropriate punishment for gamblers and steroid users.

Now, I lean toward he can pound sand in whatever afterlife he ends up in.

Based on the publicly available evidence, I always got the vibe that Pete Rose was one of those people who are too dumb to be anything other than a ballplayer, which in most cases ends very badly, particularly in his.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ironic that he and Dikembe died on the same day given their wildly disparate off the field lives.

6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Surprised by the hate here. Well, not really.

He was my first boyhood hero. There has yet to be another ballplayer I enjoyed watching more, at least not in baseball. Sad what he became. He was flawed for sure. But there are far worse who don't get the disdain already shown on this thread. Should have been in the HOF. Banned for doing an activity that half of MLB is now brought to you by. Fucking hypocrites.

Now? Who fucking cares?

RIP, Charlie Hustle.

7. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

This is as good a place as any to tell Rob Manfred- the worst commissioner evar in the history of modern sports the likes of which blah blah- to go to hell.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of the perks of being a latchkey did was having the house and TV to myself.

Yes to all the bad stuff that came out ...

... but for a baseball-mad Dodger maniac who turned 14 two days earlier, this moment was life and all that mattered.

September 11, 1985.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2024 at 7:55 PM
    Huggy and Junkie like this.
  9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He and Bonds made Cooperstown obsolete to me.

If you keep both of them out, it's not the Baseball Hall of Fame (imho). It's the Baseball Hall of Fame for Nice People. And they don't even stay consistent with that.

Junkie likes this.
  11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

As a player, he was thrilling when you rooted for him. He was maddening when you rooted against him.

Not too many players can hit the emotional sweet spot like that.

As long as they have eliminated all woman beaters and other miscreants from the Hall, I say, OK, keep him out.

But they haven't.

maumann and jr/shotglass like this.
  12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

He ain’t getting in the afterlife HOF, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted