1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pete Rose is dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Sep 30, 2024 at 7:06 PM.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Rubbish.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time - even if it’s a ban in perpetuity from the game you love.

SFIND likes this.
  3. brn623cl

brn623cl New Member

As a Red can't say he was someone I liked. Come 1979 and him becoming a Phillie I had to adjust my thoughts even though '79 was a flop season. He was a talking train wreck when the Phillies gave hm a half inning in the booth with his buddy Schmitty during the weekend honoring the '80 Championship. Thanks for the Phillies memories, the rest, not so much.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Great player.

Considering "the run" of celebrity deaths lately - you wonder if families might wait a beat or two for a clear window so their loved one can have the attention to themselves. James Earl Jones, Maggie Smith, Kristofferson, now this on. Yikes.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The run of deaths will only increase as there are a lot more old famous people today than there were in the 1950s or 1960s or 1970s.

As for Pete Rose, meh. At least he didn't stampede bulls through the Vatican or rednecks through the Capitol.

SFIND likes this.
  6. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

I fully understand why Rose was banned from the Hall. I agree with the reasoning and always have. Every profession has ethics you live or die by and he went way over the line. He did nothing to help his own cause. He made his own bed.

That said, I mean, the guy isn't cold in the ground. He can also be appreciated for the great baseball player he was too. Seems like the gambling stuff, which has been hashed and re-hashed ad nauseum, can wait a day to appreciate the fact that he was one of the greats.

Also, he committed a crime against baseball, not humanity. He paid the price for it. Some of the hate is way out of proportion to his actual "crime" in the grand scheme.

RIP to the man. RIPs go to flawed men too or we're just as flawed in our moral intransigence as he was for his own failings.

Cosmo, maumann, jr/shotglass and 3 others like this.
  7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Pete Rose admitted to fucking a girl he thought was 16. She was 14.

He was a good baseball player.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Cross him off then.

three_bags_full likes this.
  9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

My post on the book of faces ....

Pete Rose is dead.

He bet on baseball (on his own team) when he knew it was against the rules (posted in EVERY clubhouse). The only penalty: Permanent exclusion from the game, including the Hall of Fame.

He lied about it for years. He only admitted it when he thought the baseball commissioner would reinstate his eligibility. Another gamble he lost.

His accomplishments as a player were amazing, but he forfeited his right to baseball immortality.

Don't argue with me on this. You will just be wrong.

qtlaw, Inky_Wretch, SFIND and 3 others like this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You know who kept Pete Rose out of the Hall of Fame?

Pete Rose.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also as a kid, I always loved this SI story of Rose’s 4,192 base hit, from the perspective of the baseball.

Truly a baseball immortal

maumann likes this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

ADD: The person who posts Stinky copping to this in the Blazing Saddles scene will win AI forever.

Kinky Stinky?

Draft saved Draft deleted