1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hurricane Helene relief: The SJ.com giving thread (with two matching opportunities!)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Oct 1, 2024 at 1:17 PM.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

From time to time, we as a message board family have come together to generously support charitable causes in need, both at Christmas and when disaster strikes.

Hurricane Helene is a massive disaster, impacting hundreds of communities from Florida through the Carolinas and even into East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia. People need our help.

EDIT: We now have an anonymous donor willing to match donations up to $1000. Please provide a link and short description of the charity you have chosen, along with the amount given.

EDIT II: We now have a SECOND anonymous donor who has put up an ADDITIONAL $1000 worth of matching funds for the donations jar here at Jeers.

I have contributed $50 to the North Carolina Disaster Relief Recovery Fund. My NC-based employer is very generously offering a 2x match for our donations at work. They will concentrate on grants to help communities to come in the months ahead after the TV cameras have moved on. And the parent organization has a four-star rating on Charity Navigator.

https://www.nccommunityfoundation.org/nonprofits/disaster-relief-fund

Not all are able to give and we understand. But if you are blessed to be able to contribute, please consider doing so.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2024 at 6:26 PM
  2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

3. dixiehack

Part of me feels a little guilty focusing my giving there when my former stomping grounds of Upper East Tennessee and South Georgia are so devastated. But ultimately the opportunity to shake loose an extra $100 via work was just too good to ignore.

That said, this was much more than a single state.

4. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

As a resident of Tennessee and North Carolina, on behalf of my region, I'd like to personally thank anyone who does anything - great or small - to help.
    Folks need it.
    If someone wants to know anything more in depth, reply or PM me. At this point, my true identity is easily made and nothing I honestly need to conceal. I am a legit eyeball witness.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Feeding America’s Asheville food bank “is gone” per a Feeding America national staffer. The FA affiliates in other areas of NC are helping to step in with food boxes. I don’t know logistics but you could consider Feeding America chapters for your donations, too.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Moved to the top of the page. Thanks all.

OscarMadison and dixiehack like this.
  8. FileNotFound

Staying close to home here in Upstate SC:

$100 to https://give.harvesthope.org/

Lots of people across South Carolina will be out of power for another week or so, with the attendant trailing problems of income disruption and child care disruption and all that.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2024 at 9:19 PM
  9. dixiehack

If those who have donated wouldn’t mind to share how much they donated (and where they did so if not included) an anonymous but benevolent soul has offered to do a bit of donation matching after all. So you can feel twice as good for the money you invest in your fellow (wo)man.

10. FileNotFound

Edited my post above. To that anonymous soul, that’s pretty awesome of you.

11. dixiehack

May one of the mods update the title to reflect that we now have a matching opportunity?

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Done. Terrific news.

Draft saved Draft deleted