1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoman shakeup

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Della9250, Aug 19, 2023.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

At what I would presume to be a significantly lower salary, given The Gannett Way. Lower, but at least with relative stability.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's a shame when a battered spouse thinks they have to give their abusive partner a second chance.

LanceyHoward likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Weird post and potentially simply misinformed. She left The Oklahoman of her own volition for the startup, and is now going back to The Oklahoman.

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

She can both be doing the right thing for her and her family and also be returning to a place likely to treat her no better than it did when she decided to leave it for a pie-in-the-sky golden ticket opportunity.

FileNotFound and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

And we don't know if her leaving was because of them treating her badly, or because it was a (seemingly) golden ticket opportunity that came calling.

I know if I was a single parent doing Substack with no benefits and no guarantees, there's a lot I could overlook to get in a more secure situation.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think Jenni left the Oklahoman for an opportunity that seemed too good to be true that pretty quickly was proven to be too good to be true. It’s a fairly good recovery after being slapped up the side of her head with somebody else’s pipe dream.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I don't know her or her work at all but "divorced mom of a 12-year-old" in her post is the nut graf. You do what you gotta do.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My comment was perhaps crass or crude, but my point is she likely wouldn’t have left in the first place and the opportunity wouldn’t look so fantastic if the Oklahoman was a stellar employer. This line of work is extremely bad about shivving its vulnerable employees, who wax poetic about this being a “calling,” at their most vulnerable. It’s the definition of an abusive relationship.

Draft saved Draft deleted