1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

I'm noticing something about the coverage of Trump/Vance vs. Harris/Walz in the New York Times.

Trump and Vance speeches tend to get more coverage in their live blog. There are more substantive updates and sharing of any claims that are made. When Harris/Walz do an appearance, that's not the case. Even today - there are six updates alone from Vance's standard campaign rally in Detroit. Harris had 11 total updates from two substantive interviews today, including a lengthy chat with Howard Stern and an announcement of a notable new policy about elder care on The View.

It feels like a portion of political media covers Trump/Vance breathlessly, whereas it treats Harris/Walz as an older, traditional campaign that doesn't need the same quantity of updates. And I think that hurts Harris/Walz.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Hate to go all Peggy Noonan, but I’m seeing an astounding number of Harris signs in our deep red little Indiana town.

We might be 70-30 instead of 80-20 this time.

Wish we could add them to the Ohio side of town where they might matter.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

In other words, it’s all true.

garrow likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Meanwhile in Canuckistan.

melock and franticscribe like this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Vote Democrat...or Vote Deception

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Didn’t he say Trump was winning over PA suburbia three days ago?

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Luntz is a fucking tool bag. With a bad rug.

Twirling Time and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This election feels like cosplay. Saying whatever you need to say to get clicks. Fox News pumps up Trump because it knows that's what viewers want to see. CNN seems to drizzle on the Harris campaign because they know Harris supporters are addicted to gloomy news about that campaign

I mean shoot - the Harris campaign has sent out so many "I hate to tell you this..." money begs I'm half tempted to reply with a "You have a $300m fundraising edge and you are running against a convicted felon with mental issues, if you need my $5 to put you over the top, YOU'VE got problems."

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The way the emails for all the Dem candidates swing between "oh, no, we're doomed, send money" to "we've got 'em on the run, send money" and back again indicates some serious manic-depressives are in charge of the party's fundraising.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Disagree. They know their party very well. I listen to a lot of NPR, and while they don't do a lot of crime stories, they feed their listeners a constant stream of immigrant/refugee misery, grief, and looming climate and health doom news. If they have someone on to promote a book they seem to focus on the hardships they faced, rather than what they have overcome or achieved.

Michael Moore Calls Dems ‘Such a Frightened Group of People,’ Says It’s ‘Shocking’ To Believe Trump Will Beat Harris

I should note, I can see why people would like to keep things "tight" - for fear of thinking a result is in the bag and causing turnout to lag.

For what it is worth - also heard a sponsorship tag on NPR saying All Things Considered brought to you by "Visit Clearwater/St. Pete" minutes after a long report on Hurricane Milton.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2024 at 8:16 PM
    cyclingwriter2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted