1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Can't believe I got in on the like before @maumann.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It s “V” or “They Live” come to life.

DanielSimpsonDay and garrow like this.
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

OK, that's funny. But, IMO, not a fraction as derogatory as "F_CK (Insert Democrat here)."

Is it overflowing with class and grace? No. But neither is Robinson (to those outside of North Carolina, he has said some stuff that I'm not even sure SPC would say if that gives you an idea.)

In Durham? Wow. Where I am, they're probably saving the utility poles to put up signs to fire the local football coach.

franticscribe likes this.
  4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

No, it wasn't.

It was empathetic and compassionate. It was human, and it's impossible to imagine Donald Trump reacting in the same way.

But Harris didn't really provide a clear answer to this woman's question. She started to. Clear, comprehensive pathways to citizenship complete with healthcare and security for those who have been in the country for a period of time. And that was in their first immigration bill that Congress failed to do anything with.

But she got lost in the weeds. She should have explained that was what they wanted, that Congress refused to act, that she would advocate for a similar bill as President, but she needs a Democratic Congress. And if not, she will work to find a way to pass as many executive orders as necessary to serve as stopgaps until something permanent can get through Congress.

Harris' weaknesses and strengths were on display at the same time. She's outstanding at relating to people. She listens. But she's not great at explaining policies or being specific with her ideas.

She's 100000 times better than Trump. I think she'll be a fine president. But some of her weaknesses are keeping her from running away with this thing, and it's the same weaknesses that kept her from standing out in a crowded field in 2019/2020.

5. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

And once again, she'll take 10,000 times more heat than TFG does for the verbal diarrhea he spews on a daily basis.

6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Oh, absolutely. There's already a focus on her failing to answer a question at the town hall where she was promoted to offer three redeeming qualities about Trump. Both the NYT and AP have focused on it amidst their overall coverage of the town hall and her stop in Arizona.

It's a ridiculous standard and one of the great modern failures of the American political press.

That said, I personally would have preferred to hear a better answer from her from that woman's question. Harris didn't do damage, and her empathy may have won her some points. But it wasn't a home run as suggested.

britwrit likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And it’s all that was needed in that moment.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trump will be big mad at the Atlantic's new endorsement of VP Harris because "that's where all the hurricanes are from."

2muchcoffeeman and Woody Long like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Hurricane Milton is a hoax. Fake news. We shouldn't send a dime to Florida. I don't they'd want it anyway since they're all rugged individualist bootstrapper Trumpers. Enjoy your boat parades.

HanSenSE and tapintoamerica like this.
  10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

she has yet to offer any specifics on which of her political enemies she'd imprison and her stance on eugenics is murky at best i have no choice

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

So the anti-Hillary? I’ll take that.

2muchcoffeeman and HanSenSE like this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I can’t believe we’re talking about Danica Patrick in 2024. It’s like these people had their frame of reference shut off 20 years ago. Can’t wait for next week when Trump is interviewed by Natalie Gulbis and Dane Cook.

Draft saved Draft deleted