1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm not going to say that the polls are gospel, but her edge in the consensus has dropped from 2.8 to 2.1 over the past two weeks. And two main polls were calculated yesterday.

It's pretty simple to me. If Pennsylvania goes the wrong way, she's in a precarious position. Which, I would imagine, is why she pulled resources from Wisconsin to make a harder push in PA.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2024
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You know who really understands Hispanic and Black working-class voters? The white nationalist priesthood of MAGA. The billionaire tech bros of MAGA.

matt_garth, garrow, Driftwood and 5 others like this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Clinton won by 2.1%. And was edged in all the swing states. Kinda like this.

Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 11.47.07 AM.png

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yep, never mind the actual visual evidence we have of enthusiasm everywhere with early voting numbers. Let's go with POLLS!

Can't wait for Harris to win and shut you polls people the fuck up forever.

melock, Slacker, garrow and 6 others like this.
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I hope you're right.
    I really hope you're right.

Big Circus, Slacker, garrow and 3 others like this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

My wife is my barometer on this. She's pretty plugged in to the election because of her job. When she starts worrying, I'll start worrying. She's the opposite right now.

Slacker, garrow, tea and ease and 4 others like this.
  7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

1) Re: polls, I'm not sure any reputable poll -- if there is such a beast -- would have had time to find a sample size, interpret the data and release the report by now. That was only Wednesday.
    2) If her debate domination didn't make a difference, I don't know that the Fox interview will, either.
    3) As to popular vote vs. EC, if her losses in the popular vote serve only to reduce her margins in CA and NY and IL, for example, I won't be particularly agitated by popular vote totals.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I have this fear that early voting is as robust as it is in many swing states because Trumpists are intentionally getting their vote recorded so that they can tune out everything between now and Nov. 5. That way, they don't have to be burdened by second thoughts because it's too late or because it requires too much effort to change. Which is kind of the way they think in general. They have gotten this far because they're unwilling to put any effort into examining their party's nominee.

9. jr/shotglass

I hope you get your wish, even though I know you won't STFU anyway.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I like my polls slathered with a big smear of margarine of error.

garrow, swingline, TowelWaver and 5 others like this.
  11. jr/shotglass

Then don't believe them. I'll only play the role of Dave Chappelle on Nov. 6, one day only, if it goes south.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Polls so close as almost all Harris-Trump ones have been should make both sides nervous. The only message they send is "it's a close election." If they're right, then the winner-loser metric isn't how to judge them. Let's say a poll shows Trump winning a state by one point, but Harris winds up winning it by a little less than a point. That poll was accurate to under 2 percent, which is about the best possible performance, even if it showed the "wtong" candidate winning. The only way the polls could be really wrong is if Harris or Trump wins by a significant margin in the popular vote NOT the electoral college.

dixiehack and jr/shotglass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted