1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

From everything I’ve heard if you hit one of these, you black out and don’t even know what you’re doing with your hands as you round the bases. Which makes the celebrations as natural as you’ll ever get.

My only athletic claim to fame was shooting a 35 against our high school golf rival. I’m still trying to recapture every little thing I did that day to do it again. The entire round is just gone out of my mind. I imagine this is like that times 1,000.

maumann likes this.
  2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Paste the twitter/x link into the embed media located in the toolbar above. Replace x.com with twitter.com. Voila!

Maybe Jeff will get this functionality updated someday.

Scout likes this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

There is just so much to love about this photo and that so much has to go right to get to that moment.

Of course you have the granny, but you also have…

No bat flip. He holds it up high, and the ball is still in flight.
    The fan wearing black in the background so the bat, logo out, can be easily seen. And a black bat.
    Usher John Legend stayed to end. His friends left.
    Only one Yankee fan with the proper reaction.
    The sea of Dodger Blue behind him.
    To sit in a spot where we don’t see many photos come from.

Just magnificent.

maumann likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So much to see there. The woman on the lower left putting her hands up to her face in joyful disbelief. The two guys right next to her hugging. The guy in the Yankees shirt a few rows up behind home plate with both of his hands on top of his head. Freeman with the confident look and the bat up in the air.

Yeah, that’s going to be an all-time classic.

maumann likes this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhdddddddiiiiiiiooooooosssssss!!!!!!
    I had to laugh at Sterling.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thank goodness there’s no one looking at their phone….

love the couple hugging

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Loved Magic’s reaction.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if that is a couple or just two buddies celebrating together, but yeah, that's a great part of an amazing picture.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Does the rule address if the catch is the inning’s third out? Does a runner from third score?

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The lack of phones might be the most amazing part of the photo. People living in the moment and not through a screen. Love it.

qtlaw and I Should Coco like this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I remember reading that reliever Mike Marshall always liked to pitch with an open base because it gave him some leeway, he didn't have to get the batter out. He always had a chance to make the hitter swing at his pitch and maybe get himself out, and if he didn't at the very least he had another batter.

Nestor didn't have that option. He had to throw strikes and he obviously missed on his location.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jim Palmer did Marshall one better. He said, "There's always an open base. Home plate is a base." Palmer never gave up a grand slam in his career.

Draft saved Draft deleted