1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Pocatello Idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Ben There

Ben There Guest

One word: Herbball.

2. mose

mose Member

Herb had a real flair, didn't he? He was about as good at pronouncing multi-syllable words as Brundage was at spelling them.

Herb claimed he was a Phi Beta Kappa. We deduced that must have been a gang in the neighborhood where he grew up.

3. TRS-80

TRS-80 New Member

Don't forget about the assistant coach McNeely through under the bus (and then backed over). McNeely had no knowledge whatsoever that the guy had completed a book report on The Hobbit top get an O-lineman eligible from Juco. And then there was the system in which McNeely required players to show him church bulletins as proof they got their weekend worshipping in. How the hell do you get a I-AA program, one that blows no less, on probation? Very carefully.

4. Corleone

Corleone New Member

Don't think you guys can get away with just leaving those name cards on the table. I pull out the Chris Daniels trump card. He is the goofiest looking basketball player to ever wear the orange and black. Or orange and silver during herbball days. Not only did he have a permagrin on his face, he and his fraternity brothers used to perform a "Stomp"-eque halftime show. Did anyone see that? And does anyone else remember the weber state/ISU brawl when Herb started going after the penguin?

5. mose

mose Member

Oh, do I remember the whole brawl incident. I also recall Herb defying the subsequent sanctions, vowing that he'd get a court order if necessary so he could be on the bench at the Big Sky tournament -- then meekly agreeing to a one-game suspension when leaned on by ISU's president.

OK, Corleone, let's see what you remember. What player was suspended along with Herb for that Big Sky tourney game? The prize for the correct answer is an orange wristband autographed by Kareem Carpenter and Phil Luckey.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Re-posted on Journalismjobs.com today (Sept. 7)

Company: Idaho State Journal
    Position: Seeking Talented Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: October 12, 2006
    Job ID: 668004

Description:
    The Idaho State Journal, an 18,000 daily in Southeastern Idaho, is seeking a talented newsroom leader to fill our sports editor position. The Journal has set a precedent for excellence and we are looking for a do-it-all journalist who can take us to the next level.
    Last year our sports department won two APSE awards and regularly starred on our front page.

We attract the best and brightest sports writers and we cover more than just surface level sports. We have been recognized for writing about stem cell therapy, rodeo, school finance and sports spot news.

Our sports department covers Division IAA Idaho State University and travels with the team to out-of-town games. We want to create compelling, insightful packages on a daily basis and we are looking for a sports editor who can help us do that.

If you have journalism in your blood and aspire to be the best in your field, send us a resume, cover letter explaining why you’re interested in working for the Idaho State Journal and at least 10 samples of your best work. Mail your materials to Ian Fennell, editor, Idaho State Journal, P.O. Box 431, Pocatello, ID 83204.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

That's cold, man. Cold.

9. Minotauro

Minotauro Member

I find Ace's comment to be completely called for. Any word on BS's plans?

10. Minotauro

Minotauro Member

Based on how many times and places this job keeps getting reposted, it doesn't seem like the resumes are flying in? Any word on this gig?

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I've tried persuading lots of people into sending their resume in. No takers, unsurprisingly.

Still, I think this is a very good job for a young journalist ready to be an SE at a paper that will let ou do your thing. For a couple of years it'd be a very acceptable stop as you fine tune your clips, experience and resume.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i did hear the drinks there were cheap and the herb was to be fired for.

Draft saved Draft deleted