1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plain Dealer lawsuit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by martygit, Dec 10, 2006.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

I have heard that exact sentiment from my wife and daughters - that they would pay attention more if women were writing about it.
    It makes sense from a human nature standpoint

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be too exciting if I were outed. No one knows who the hell I am, unless they already know who the hell I am!

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

It happens a lot. Most editors who are seeking a minority hire are very open about it to candidates. They certainly don't fear being sued for discrimination for several reasons.

First, I'm not sure what they're doing is illegal. Second, if it is, they know that candidates are unlikely to pursue a lawsuit because it's a difficult, very expensive process that in this case makes one look like a clueless wannabe at best and a racist asshole at worst. Not to mention how much more difficult it would be to get hired anywhere else while the case is pending or even afterward. And when someone does pursue it, as Marty did, the paper has the resources to outlast an individual, who will eventually run out of money and/or move on with the rest of his life.

4. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

Also, I think there are feelings of guilt involved, too. I can see how coming clean with someone who has no shot at the job would make a manager feel better about the situation.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

In a hirer's market, it seems to me to be the hirer's prerogative to hire whoever they want, because they can.

The other thing is that if you're really, really good at what you do, someone will find you. somehow, some day. We live in a small universe.

One thing's for sure. While I admire Mr. MartyGit's determination in this case, there's no doubt that taking on "the man", especially in a way that tries to make them look really bad, is a poor long-term career decision.

Even if he's right (and I can accept that winning a lawsuit and proving that you were indeed right is a worthy endeavor), what would be the post-mortem?

Assuming they were forced to give someone a job, it's entirely likely that the person's life would be made absolutely miserable while there, perhaps miserable enough to quit. Everyone would know why they were there, making the spotlight brighter on mistakes, lack of production and the like.

Not to mention your name being mud if you try to seek a job somewhere else. "Oh, that's the guy who sued the Plain Dealer. Not only did he cost them a lot of money, he'll sue us if he's unhappy about something. Stay away."

I'm sure it was a big decision, not taken lightly. But given the current market, one I'm absolutely sure I would not make myself.

Then again, I'm a woman. So I have my pick of jobs, right? :) :)

6. writer of ball

writer of ball New Member

http://www.clevescene.com/issues/2003-09-03/kotz.html
    story on the git

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"Like most writers, Gitlin is not particularly modest about his skills. "I hate to say it, but dammit, I'm good enough to be at The Plain Dealer." "
    Careful, Marty. Ace is gonna get you for plagarism...

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Even at the big shops, it's not all about talent. Lots of journalists, regardless of their sex or race, are talented enough to work in the big leagues. The former department head at a previous stop had a great record in finding talent in all levels, and he was able to maintain a good mix in the process. The field is changing, but good people will continue to get good jobs.

9. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

That story is from 2003.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, where do you think I stole it?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So you aren't that clever and couldn't. in actuality, work for the Plain-Dealer? ;)

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, buster. I will have you know I have worked for the Plain-Dealer. But it was my brother's paper route, technically, so I may not officially be on their books.

So there. Take that.

Draft saved Draft deleted