1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Running Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Jan 11, 2008.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The beginning of the end of WCW, or the middle of the end? The final straw, perhaps? Or was that putting the strap on David Arquette.

Lest we forget Mark Madden as "cruiserweight" champion.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Why the new wrestling thread? That old one was about the only thread I ever started that got beyond about three pages. It's a sad moment for me.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It's a new year, Rusty. :D

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Man, that's cold.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

On a whim, I headed out tonight and caught a local indy show, which was being headlined by a tag-team reunion of former WWE champs Greg Valentine and Brutus Beefcake, along with an appearance by Daivari and his younger brother.

I know Valentine and Beefcake are up there in age, but good lord. Valentine looked like he needed to be wheeled to and from the ring, as well as awakened from whatever drug-induced state he was in. Beefcake was in decent shape and did his best to work the crowd, but was just too old to do too much.

The biggest pop came when Valentine got a dude to tap to the Figure 4, and Brutus then shaved the guy's head. Pretty funny.

All I could remember was roughly 20 years earlier, when those same two guys went against the British Bulldogs in a cage match in my hometown and nearly brought the place down.

Daivari was interesting. He's really got some talent, although I think it's pretty clear he's on some type of performance-enhancers. The guy's way too yoked for his height, and he had the telltale acne all over his back.

His brother, who is basically a slightly less muscular spitting image of him, was a pretty good worker. The two tag-teamed in the main event later in the evening and put on a good show.

6. Jar of Flies

Jar of Flies Member

Big Show vs. Akebono sumo match at Wrestlemania 21

I was ringside that night at the Staples Center. I still haven't recovered.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Pat Patterson vs. Gerald Brisco in an evening gown match, King of the Ring 2000.

8. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Ray Traylor might have been an asshole (on TV), but he played one hell of an asshole.

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I echo that the Mae Young hand has to be second behind Katie Vick. The Vick storyline almost turned me off to wrestling completely.

Re: Goldust. Dustin Runnels has done a hell of a job to continually reinvent himself, to be honest, and I think that Goldust wasn't a bad character at all.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

www.wrestlecrap.com should easily have a top 100 of the worst things in pro wrestling, after all, the guys who run the site OWN the Katie Vick cheerleader outfit! That might be No. 1 ahead of the Vick angle.

See the story here: www.wrestlecrap.com/sbt-katievick.html

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I saw that site a few months ago.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

So...how long before the Big Show and Great Khali fight?

Draft saved Draft deleted