1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 NBA offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 19, 2024.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Might as well get started with breaking news.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

JJ better not be buying a house in Manhattan Beach just yet.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Wow. I had seen rumblings and thought that was ridiculous - no way they would eat that much money. Guess I was wrong.

It was a monumentally bad hire. He didn't want that job - they just kept raising the salary until he wouldn't say no.

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Lakers offered Hurley 6/$70M to coach the Lakers and Monty now getting 5/$65M to not coach the Pistons.

He only took it for the money despite the headaches and, a year later, he has the money and none of the headaches.

Nine-dimensional chess by both parties.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Any job with the Lakers is a rent, don't buy situation.

TigerVols and sgreenwell like this.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

His coaching performance rivaled Larry Brown's steaming turd in the Athens Olympics as the worst coaching job I had ever seen. His rotations were idiotic in every conceivable aspect. For much of the season he seemed to be benching guys out of sheer spite.

If anything, this gets Williams' contract off the books as an ongoing liability and moves it to the category of sunk costs as the franchise is sold in the near future.

Willians had some very serious family health problems during the seasons so it can be understood he wasn't giving the team his undivided attentions, but seriously he should have just taken family leave for half the season. He'll get another HC job but it'll be a rough road. Any prospective new employers will have some very pointed questions.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

How is Monty on cam? Could he join the ESPN broadcasts?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

the length and amount of the contract is unheard of. Not to mention what happened to his first wife and now what his current wife is experiencing.

It was a bad hire - I don't think the Pistons were good enough yet to hire a low first, high second tier coach. This job has JB Bickerstaff all over it.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Someone must have nudged Tom Gores awake and showed him what the Pistons record was this year.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

i dunno kendrick perkins sets the bar pretty high

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Pretty boring and rigid.

Honestly, I would guess he becomes a motivational speaker and walks away from the game. But who knows?

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Monty seems like a good guy, he got the Suns to the Finals. He didn't want the Pistons job, didn't turn that franchise around, but that doesn't mean he's a bad guy. There's offset possibilities so maybe LeBron falls in love with him and gets the Pistons off the hook for some of it.

Kenny Atkinson did well in this situation previously in NJ.

Draft saved Draft deleted