1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2024 NHL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Liut, Jun 25, 2024.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Goaltender Linus Ullmark was traded by Boston to Ottawa on Monday for goaltender Joonas Korpisalo, center Mark Kastelic and a first-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Earlier this week, the Caps traded Darcy Kuemper to the Kings for Pierre-Luc Dubois. Seems like PLD was an awful fit in L.A. schematically, and Kuemper lost his net to Lindgren in Washington, so it seems on the surface like a WTF why not see what happens? move for both teams.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Should nicely solve the Utah mascot issue if the parties involved have much sense. So probably not.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I addressed this over on the Stanley Cup thread... but the "extra hoops suddenly required of him" was a permit he was told he needed back in December and just blew off. He doesn't even have a zoning attorney. Dude is an utter buffoon, and was never going to get that arena built.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Probably not. The NHL wants to have that IP back a la the Sonics so that they can plug it in if they expand again, which doesn't seem likely but isn't impossible.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I should think any remaining hockey fans in greater Phoenix would want a clean break from this plague ship.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm actually conflicted on this, and I suspect I'm not alone.

The Coyotes legacy is a deep well of failure. Bad teams, bad arenas, the worst owners in sports. Just horrendous all around. Leaving it in the dustbin of history makes sense.

On the other hand... the Kachina coyote logo is pretty badass. I'd hate for that to just disappear.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

How much money could you have made yesterday betting that Shea Weber, who is under contract for two more years and played an NHL game less than three years ago, would be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame that day?

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Don't worry, the Utah will use it as an alternate at some point, a la the Canes using the Whalers logo, just to piss everyone off.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Could get worse for Arizona hockey fans as well. Reportedly, Meruillo is going all-in on a $1B arena/entertainment zone in Reno that will not only house University of Nevada basketball, but he'll move the minor league team in Tucson there if it comes to fruition.

Draft saved Draft deleted