1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A casket made out of toothpicks: RIP, UL Washington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Mar 4, 2024.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

2. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

His rookie card also featured Alan Trammell and Paul Molitor. Good company to be in.[​IMG]

Liut and maumann like this.
  3. Ookpik

Ookpik Active Member

Damn.

RIP.

Image7.jpg

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And Billy Martin favorite Mickey Klutts!

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Apparently no relation to the great Clyde Kluttz, though I've read Clyde is the scout who signed Mickey to his first pro contract.

Also, UL looks 40 years old as a rookie.

6. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

Better hitter than I remembered. Thought for sure when I looked him up on B-R that he'd have a negative WAR, like so many middle infielders of my youth, but he actually does just fine.

There's so many middle infielders who were regulars back then that would never get a whiff of the bigs today. Even those renowned for their "glove work" wouldn't make the cut as there were no advanced range stats back then to show how truly effective they really were. Modern stats expose a lot of those dudes.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

He's as much a part of the '80s Royals to me as Brett, White & Wilson, but I forgot UL unfortunately missed out on the title...traded to the Expos in January '85. If you're a certain age, you think of him every time you reach for a toothpick. RIP.

Tighthead and HanSenSE like this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

He came through the Baseball Academy.

Liut likes this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Still have this card. A lot of memories.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Supposedly Mickey Klutts spent more days on the DL than he had games played. Fortunately for him, I think time spent on the DL counts toward MLB service time for his pension.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Some of those all-glove, no-hit shortstops of the day evolved into decent hitters, like Ozzie Smith.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Two Hall of Famers, two Hall of Namers.

TheSportsPredictor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted