1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Pokey Chatman story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by grumpyeditor, Apr 5, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Then you are clearly not straight. But that's OK. You can stay in the NIAFL anyway. :D

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

no - I meant that its kind of tired. Its been there a while and its time for a change.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!

Boom, God bless ya. You rock.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Delusional much?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Not delusional, but cynical. If a male college coach was gay and sexually/romaticaly involved with an assistant coach, it would have made news. Just because homosexuals comprise 5-10% of the overall population doesn't mean they are 5-10% of every possible demographic group.
    To be a candidate for MENSA, one must be in the top 2% of National IQ scoring. It's a pretty safe bet that is you took every head coach of every sport in all NCAA divisions you'd have at least 10,000 people. I doubt that 2% would be elgible for memembership in MENSA.

The fact that Pokey's gay is of no matter. The fact that a teacher is sexually or romanticaly involved with a student most defintely is important and news, considering Pokey was probably paid more the 95% of all state employees. And when state employees get in trouble, it is news.

6. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Based on the coverage of this, I can't help but think that if Larry Eustachy had been gay that would have been a very different story.

Change just one thing about this story, Chatman into a man, and tell me it would be reported the same way.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No doubt about it, if for no other reason than the fact that men's basketball gets more attention in general than women's. That brings more scrutiny with it.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

For Pokey to get the $70,000 Final Four bonus, this must have been a negotiated resignation. She and the school had to have cut a deal, which would explain her silence.
    If this triangle tale is true, the school has just as much to hide as Pokey does. Go FOIA and get the settlement papers.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

All I have read is Pokey "might" still be in line for the 70K Final Four bonus. Is there any proof that she's getting paid?

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is there any proof that she isn't getting paid the bonuses?

The Advocate story says she is still receiving her monthly salary through the end of April.

11. occasionally

occasionally Member

Saw something recently that said that Starkey might be in line for at least some, if not all, of the bonus money.

And while Pokey didn't coach the team in the tournament, she recruited all of them and led them through the entire regular season.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Starkey said he didn't want more money or the vacated job.

LSU certainly is in a dicey position.

When did the relationship with the player take place?
    When did Berry first know?
    When did she decide to tell someone in a position of authority? Why?
    How long did LSU investigate?
    How can LSU assure recruits' parents it will monitor things better?
    Just some of the many questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted