1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All News format out, ESPN Radio takes over

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Readallover, Aug 13, 2024.

1. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Heard this on 880 yesterday, dropping in during the middle of them talking about it and wasn't sure what they were talking about for a bit. Not that I'm super plugged in to the radio biz, but this really shocked me.

I also don't know why I'm surprised any longer. But I find it incredibly sad.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

God forbid people surfing through the AM band find out information more substantial than who the Chargers will start at slot receiver. Helluva society we have going here.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Lose the news, keep the Mets.

College friend of mine is an afternoon drive host there. Sad!

Readallover likes this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Thoughts:

Guess that's it for Tom Kaminsky.

Recall some years ago Sporting News tried to be the third all-sports station in NYC and failed.

Who moves from FM to AM? Who listens to AM?

I thought Howie Rose broke in with Sportsphone.

maumann likes this.
  6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Westinghouse (WINS 1010) beat William Paley (WCBS 880) to become the first all-newser in NYC.
    Paley did not want the same to happen in Chicago and ordered a hasty transition at WBBM.
    The signal swap? Meh. Sign of the times. Here, the legendary news-talker announced its dropping all high school play-by-play. Hell, the late, great Bill King worked there when he was a pup.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think this is an example of market concentration leading to less competition. CBS sold their radio stations and WCBS is owned by Audacy, as is the other all-news station in New York, WINS-FM.

WINS-FM was the fifth highest billing station in the United States in 2023, billing 40 million dollars, and WCBS was 10th, billing 30 million dollars. I would think a station billing 30 million dollars a year could make money with an all-news format.

BIA Reveals US Radio's Highest Billing Stations Of 2023 - Radio Ink

I think that Audacy decided that if they just shut down WCBS most of the audience and ad dollars would go to WINS while they could get rid of the WCBS staff. Then Audacy can rent out the signal and make even more money.

Typist Clerk, TigerVols and Liut like this.
  8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Had not seen your post while writing mine. Didn't want to seem too callous. I've previously been in your college friend's situation.

maumann likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Oh God, you’re going to summon him faster than you can say Beetlejuice.

Fred siegle likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No worries here.

maumann and Liut like this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ugh, always sad to hear classic call letters go away. And very sad for anyone who stumbles onto Mike Greenberg.

garrow and Tighthead like this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

And the punchline is, Audacy filed for bankruptcy in January.

Draft saved Draft deleted