1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP no longer naming suspects in minor crime stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’m fine with it. Except DUIs. Name those fuckers.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Gonna make the racists who demand a headshot and description mad.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In other words, we longer get to gawk at mugshots like these?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The guy on the left looks like he fell out of a Bloom County strip.

dixiehack, HanSenSE and fossywriter8 like this.
  6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Meh, I gave up AP policy several years ago.

fossywriter8 likes this.
  7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

We can still call them Florida Man though right?

lakefront likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Or an old Keystone Light ad.

[​IMG]

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The real problem with small-ass paper crime reporting is the police blotter. Arrests of all kinds happily reported, jurisprudence (especially of misdemeanors) not so much. We had that problem at Patch, never covered run of the mill court decisions. That's given rise to execrable mugshot extortion websites. In fact, I only once reported how a case played out (dismissed) when the accused requested I do so as she said the old online news item was sabotaging her job interviews.

10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Ack! Pfffbt!!

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. More sanctimonious, self-congratulating from AP/justifying having a "standards editor."

Liut likes this.
  12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

FWIW - I was at a Patch site, but I *did* always follow up with the court results. Of course, this meant that I had to maintain my own multi-page spreadsheet to do so, but it was a carryover from the local paper I worked at before.

I kind of go back and forth with the reporting of "minor" crimes. Like, a DUI is a non-felony crime in most jurisdictions, but its arguably of public interest to plenty of people, depending on the circumstances. The same thing goes for repeated, non-felony assaults and domestic assaults. When I was covering the crime beat, we had a woman who had a vehicular homicide and it seemed like her first offense according to the court database... Until we checked our own database, and found out she had a slew of previous offenses, and just paid small fines and got them expunged. I'm not sure where you draw the "line" here, but also, given the dwindling resources at all papers, I realize most of them can't do the diligence of reporting the initial arrest and following up properly to begin with.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted