1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE -- Denton (Texas) Record-Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

From -- jj.com

Company: Denton Record-Chronicle
    Position:
    Assistant Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    January 15, 2008
    Job ID: 863457

Description:
    Put your love of sports and your computer skills together in this great job at a daily newspaper that is a subsidiary of Belo/The Dallas Morning News. Just 35 miles north of the DFW Metroplex, Denton is home to two universities, three high schools, and more sports than can possibly be covered. Bring your journalism degree here if you like to: * Perform layout of sports section * Copy edit articles for sports section * Plan daily sections * Plan Sunday sections * Plan special sections and if you .... * Have two years on a daily professional newspaper in layout and copy editing * Must have knowledge of QuarkXpress layout software * Full knowledge of AP style * Excellent grammar and spelling skills Salaried position pays $545 per week with excellent benefit package. Send your resume, with clips, to Carol Puckett, Human Resources Manager, at cpuckett@dentonrc.com ; or fax to her at 940-566-6981; or mail to her at P. O. Box 369, Denton, TX 76202. No phone calls, please.

545 X 52 = 28340

2. $545 a week to live in Denton? Ouch.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

That's doable as a single person in his/her mid 20s in that area. Preps and North Texas, and driving distance to watch Morning News writers cover pro beats. There are worse management-track opportunities.

4. That's true. But it's Belo ... we all know how that's gone over the past few years.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's $28,340 a year. much more than they're offering in danville.

how big a rag is denton? ABC doesn't list it.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Denton is Von Erich territory.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Third opening on sports staff in 13 months. For the record I made much less than this in Denton and succeeded in amassing a good amount of credit card debt. This wage is much more reasonable for that part of the world, though it's still going to be tough there.

Good bands to be seen on Fry Street. Good preps to be seen around there, too.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/42550/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/34164/

9. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

Ronnie Richard was the ASE for a while there. Did he leave, and if so anyone know where he's off too?

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Denton hasn't paid much recently. But it is a college town and there is cheap housing and cheap dinner deals around if you know where to look. When I was considering a job there I found an excellent apartment available for a ridiculously low amount. Only thing was it catered to the college crowd. I don't remember the cost, but I remember calling to make sure it was just college housing. They assured me it wasn't.
    But I didn't take the job anyway. Still, I wouldn't let the wages discourage anyone looking to get started in management. It's doable. Just don't drive to DFW every day.

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Not any more; Kevin -- the last surviving Von Erich -- sold the family farm and moved his family to Hawaii.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Last I heard he was a copy editor at the Morning News. He's been gone from Denton for at least the better part of a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted