1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ASE, Hilton Head Island, S.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Miles O'Toole, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

Company: The Island Packet
    Position: Seeking assistant sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: July 13, 2006
    Job ID: 646886

Description:
    The timing couldn’t be better for a creative, forward-looking journalist with a strong grasp of visual presentation. The Island Packet, serving Hilton Head Island, S.C. and surrounding areas, seeks an assistant sports editor for a department that frequently receives national recognition and dominates statewide sports competition in its circulation category.
    Writing opportunities are possible, but the ideal candidate has strong design, copy- editing, time management and leadership skills. Primary duties are advance page design and close work with sports writers and the graphics editor to develop story ideas and produce layered, eye-popping layouts. Experience with InDesign is preferred but not mandatory.

Candidates would be hard-pressed to find a better showcase for their talents — a new press will be operational before year’s end, dramatically improving the paper’s reproduction quality. Also, the Packet is in the midst of a redesign effort that will not only improve the look and feel of the paper but the way news is gathered and reported. This positions the new ASE to put his or her stamp on the product emphatically and immediately. Further, the Island Packet is a McClatchy-owned 22,000-circulation newspaper with a record of circulation gains and profitability that is the envy of the industry. In 2004, we were named by Editor & Publisher as one of 10 newspapers in the country that "Do it Right.”

Other McClatchy papers include The Sacramento Bee, The Raleigh News and Observer and The Minneapolis Star-Tribune. With the acquisition of 20 Knight Ridder newspapers — among them The Miami Herald and The Charlotte Observer — McClatchy will be the nation's second-largest newspaper group.

The Packet offers a competitive pay and benefits package.

Resume and design clips can be mailed to the attention of sports editor Jeff Kidd at PO Box 5727, Hilton Head Island, S.C., 29938. Also, materials can be e-mailed, in PDF format only, to at jkidd@islandpacket.com. Promising candidates will be tested and interviewed.

To find out more about the Packet, look at our Web site at www.islandpacket.com.

This is good paper with a good SE.

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

No matter your job or circulation size, anyone who has vacationed in Hilton Head has to be tempted a little.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I spent about a year and a half at the Packet on the news side. It is EXTREMELY expensive to live there.

4. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Sure, but you don't have to live ON the island.

5. mapFanatic

mapFanatic Member

And this has to be one of the best newspapers of its size in the country; Better than many papes twice its size.

6. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Maybe in sports. Too much wire copy in the news sections. When I vacationed there last year, the centerpiece was by AP three days out of four.

7. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

what's the circulation size?

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Monday Morning Sportswriter, it's expensive OFF the island too. The paper itself is excellent. I was on the news side at the time and wished I had been in sports. The current SE has been there a long time and that's usually a good sign. But it's still going to cost a bundle to live in that area.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

The ad above says 22k.
    But I will back up Map's statement. You wouldn't know it was this small by looking at the range of stuff they have.

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

Anyone know what college/pro teams they cover?

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

From what I've seen, not many. Not sure I've ever seen them at USC/Clemson stuff. They do a lot of golf, though.

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

That's kinda what I figured — thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted