1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant sports editor, Adrian, MI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by David Panian, Sep 14, 2009.

1. David Panian

David Panian New Member

From jjobs:

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1099082

Company: The Daily Telegram
    Position: Opening for assistant sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: October 19, 2009
    Job ID: 1099082

Description:
    The Daily Telegram has an immediate opening for an assistant sports editor for its award-winning publication. Responsibilities include game coverage and page design. The coverage area includes 13 high schools and two small colleges in Lenawee County. We are located in Adrian, Mich., less than an hour away from Ann Arbor and Toledo, Ohio.

Send clips and resumes to sports editor Brian Calloway at brian@lenconnect.com.
    ###

I'm the Telegram's news editor. Our previous ASE moved to take a job outside the biz in a city where his wife might have a better chance of finding a job in her field.

To answer some basic questions:

1) Yes, there are the occasional opportunities to cover Detroit and Toledo (mostly Mud Hens) teams.
    2) No, we don't cover U-M or MSU. We did cover U-M football's home games last year when Steven Threet started because he's an Adrian High School grad. But with Adrian College (Div III), Siena Heights University (NAIA) and high school stuff, the sports guys are pretty busy locally.
    3) You'd be one of three full-timers. Brian and John are good guys. John's been here forever; Brian's been here about four years. We have four part-timers right now, all college students (one is in law school).
    4) We're a p.m. Monday through Friday and an a.m. on Saturday and Sunday, about 15,000 circulation.
    5) We're a GateHouse paper. I know the chain's management gets ripped a lot, but locally we're hanging in there financially and I think they're trying to do the right thing as far as technology and training opportunities go. The only newsroom cuts we've had are a news reporter was laid off in January and the hourly staff's hours were cut to 37 a week. This position is salaried. There has been no talk of furloughs here.
    6) Cost of living here is OK, especially if you live in Adrian. Tecumseh is a little more expensive, but about 15 minutes closer to Ann Arbor, if that appeals to you. You won't live in poverty here unless you insist on running up credit card debt or have massive student loan payments.
    7) There is usually at least one state championship-caliber high school team each year (Blissfield baseball is a perennial power), and Adrian College has put a lot into its athletics facilities in the past few years. Its men's hockey team has lost something like 10 games in its two years in existence but has received no NCAA love because of its conference.
    8) Michigan International Speedway is in our backyard, and we spend both race weekends there.
    9) If you like cultural stuff, we have some good community theater here, and the venues in Adrian and Tecumseh have done a good job of seeking out known, national acts. For example, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is playing in Tecumseh on Sunday. Little Big Town and the Zac Brown Band played Adrian College in the spring.

Anything else, feel free to PM me or ask here.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There's also a hell of an ice cream place on the northern part of town.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

ADRIAN!

Sorry, all I've got.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Do the fans of the local high school collective still have an "us against the world" mentality?

5. GoTeamGo

GoTeamGo New Member

As someone who knows Brian Calloway well I'd like to give him a ringing endorsement.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Slappy - You'll be interested to know that Ypsilanti joined the Southeastern Conference White Division this year, which is where Adrian has been. Nothing like stirring up the old bad blood of a gangsta-redneck rivalry.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Somewhere I still have the videotape of the Ypsi mom rushing the court and berating an official for his overlooking certain indiscretions by Adrian basketball players that, in many states, would warrant a cooling off period in the city jail.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah but they aren't as ghetto now that they are the Phoenix instead of the Braves.

In an unrelated story, I could not be happier to not have to run them in Mega League track meets this year. Although, in track, they weren't nearly the most ghetto team. Highland Park and Melvindale really gave them a run for the money.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Any update on this one?

10. David Panian

David Panian New Member

Well, I finally A) remembered to post an update and B) have time to do so.

Scott McNeish is our new assistant sports editor. We also hired a new news-side reporter, Bob Wheaton, most recently of the Jackson Citizen Patriot. Here's the story we ran on hiring them:

http://www.lenconnect.com/news/x215402892/Reporter-assistant-sports-editor-join-Telegram-staff

I also apologize to those who PM'd me about this. It appears I was too optimistic about what the pay would be, or at least how flexible it was for those with more experience. I should have known better, I suppose.

I do know we had no idea if Scott would want to move back since he hadn't been in Iowa very long, so this wasn't a case of having someone in mind and just collecting resumes — though we got a lot as we had way more applicants for the ASE position than we usually have when we post openings in news. I think Brian got 40 or 50 applications; we got 15 or 20 for the position Bob filled. Brian had four or five in for interviews.

We're happy to have Scott rejoin the staff as a full-timer and to have Bob join us.

Draft saved Draft deleted