1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assistant Sports Editor - Nampa (Idaho) Press-Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jun 26, 2007.

1. from jjobs.com: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=795322

Company: Idaho Press-Tribune
    Position:
    Assistant Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    July 31, 2007
    Job ID: 795322

Description:
    Lead the desk and oversee high school sports in this management job at the Idaho Press-Tribune, a growing daily newspaper, just 20 miles from Boise, the home of four minor-league pro teams, Boise State University, two small colleges and Idaho’s great outdoors. Must be able to juggle a variety of tasks, design high-quality sports pages, cover games and manage the coverage of nearly 20 high schools on a staff of six full-timers. We are an award-winning daily newspaper in one of the Northwest’s fastest- growing areas. A journalism degree (or equivalent experience) and design skills are a must. Experience with InDesign, PhotoShop and Web software is all a plus. Life in the Treasure Valley — nearing 600,000 people — offers a wide range of activities, including: multiple ski resorts within short driving range, hunting and fishing, a vibrant nightlife that spans five cities, some of the best hiking, mountain biking, rafting and camping destinations in the country and numerous top-notch golf courses. Visit our web at idahopress.com and our community guide at idahoiz.com. E-mail your cover letter, and three best designs to vholbrook@idahopress.com. Applications will be accepted until July 8.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Nampa still sucks.

This might be a decent first job out of school, but I've heard mostly bad things about this paper.

Nightlife exists in Boise, which is a 30 minute drive (as I travel) from Nampa. Nampa shuts down early, because of the high number of religious folks.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hmmm. PM me if you want information on this paper.

4. john boy

john boy New Member

Someone should PM me about Angola!

5. I Like HD

I Like HD Member

Yah, you can change the job title all you want, but this paper sucks every way you look at it.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm not a former employee of this paper. But a couple of years ago when it appeared my family might be moving to Boise/Nampa I looked into this paper and decided it would be an OK place to land and work.

Not perfect or ideal by any means. But more than OK. I'm guessing the place Angola! grew to dispise is better than he imagined it to be.

Nampa is a growing city with 50K+ in city limits and affordable housing, lots of new neighborhoods, new schools (and some old ones) more than enough shopping, dining options and recreation. It has a sizable hispanic population and from what I've observed from many Boiseites, that's one of the reasons they look down on Nampa/Caldwell as a lower class city. Certainly not the case with all Boiseites, but I have heard more than a few of the 'urbanites' there talk down their noses at the Mexicans in Nampa.

I, for one, could care less how many hip bars or clubs there are in Nampa. Of course, I'm not a person that needs to drink or party myself into a stupor after work every night in order to cope with life.

That said, the 20 miles to Boise wouldn't be hard to take if I simply had to get craaazzzzzy with the cool kids in Boise instead of the family types in Meridian, Nampa or Caldwell.

In a day where jobs are getting harder to find, this is a good one. Or you can hold out hope that the Cleveland Plain Dealer or Seattle Times is magically going to create new staff positions and remember your resume at the bottom of the pile.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Upper management still sucks, but the new SE is a good guy and took a non-existent BSU beat and made it into one that challenged the Statesman.
    But the town of Nampa still sucks and if you are young and single, you should live in Boise.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I know the publisher there. So I won't disagree one bit with any knocks on her. She didn't get around to introducing herself to me until I had been her SE for almost a year.

Plus, I've found that worrying about what the news, editorial and features departments do is a waste of time and doesn't reflect much on me or impact my job satisfaction unless they start trying to meddle. Hopefully that's not the case here.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The ME definitely likes to meddle.

Draft saved Draft deleted