1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletes who have had rules changed or made based on them...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FootballScribe, Sep 4, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do I even bother to mention the way Wilt shot free throws? But we are all journalists and so fucking smart that we do not even need to post these things, right?

What about George Mikan?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Except they haven't changed that rule, have they? I remember seeing it called a few times last season. All the Brady play did was raise awareness of it.

3. And Price's accuracy (along with that of several other players) probably influenced the ACC to move the 3-point line back from 17'-9" to 19'-9" (thus joining the Big 10, and soon after, other conferences).

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

The Air Gait move in lacrosse involved jumping into the air from behind the net and, while still airborne so as to not violate the crease rule, stuffing the ball in over top of the crossbar. It was invented by Gary Gait and popularized by him and his twin brother Paul while they were at Syracuse University, and it was all but impossible to defend against. It was later banned by the NCAA and by the pro National Lacrosse League, although the NLL later lifted the ban. I'm not sure what its status is now with the NCAA.

http://video.insidelacrosse.com/video/view/-vOVycb4d0O84a8H1JyQpw/casey-powell--air-gait?searchTxt=Gary%20Gait

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Didn't Bob Gibson's 1968 season play a big role in the decision to lower the pitcher's mound?

6. That was mentioned in the very first post.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Whoops ... that's what I get for not reading the entire thread.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

No, I have a problem with people who say things like "yes, that Jim Brown" (and this is far from the first time you've done it) when I'd be willing to bet that 95% of the people here knew that Jim Brown played lacrosse, even if they don't care about lacrosse. It's not that you mentioned the rule change, it's that you acted like you were making a great revelation by telling us all that Jim Brown played lacrosse.

Also, not sure if you know this, but Dave Winfield was drafted in three different sports. Crazy, right?

9. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

1950s Montreal Canadiens used to dominate on the power play.
    The other team would get a two minute penalty and the guy had to sit the whole two minutes, while Montreal would score a couple goals..
    The rule was changed so that if the team on the power play scored, the guy in the penalty box came out and the teams played five-on-five

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The only problem, Devil, is you repeatedly mention it with a tone like you expect us all to be astonished to learn that Brown played Lacrosse. Believe it or not, we already knew. You don't need to know Lacrosse to know that, it gets mentioned in about every profile ever been done on Brown. And if we didn't know from other sources, we certainly would've picked it up from your posts by now.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jim Brown played lacrosse? Damn, learn something new every day.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

And the Dodgers and Giants use to play in New York. At least I think I've heard that somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted