1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletes who have had rules changed or made based on them...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by FootballScribe, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

That was in junior hockey, where he also had a unique way of defending against penalty shots.

Back when there was no rule preventing it, Neilson would yank the goalie and substitute a skater who would come out of the net and mug the guy taking the penalty shot.

You'd think that all the shooter had to do was avoid the charge and slide the puck into the open net, but apparently he was gonna get hammered regardless, and the fear overcame common sense more often than not.

And that was Ontario junior hockey in the late '60s. :D

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The Stabler/Casper fumble rule....last 2 mins (?) of game offense cannot advance a fumble.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hines Ward for the rule about not being about to blindside other players.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't forget the Unseld Rule (thanks, Mikey Fratello!).

In Game 7 of the 1978 NBA Finals, Seattle, trailing Washington in the final minute, ignored the ball and instead fouled Wes Unseld away from the play because he was struggling from the foul line in the playoffs. Unseld thwarted the strategy by making two free throws and the Bullets went on to win, but the league quickly made a rule to end such shenanigans.

Beginning the next season, any foul away from the ball in the last two minutes of a game was treated as a technical foul, allowing the fouled team to choose the shooter and keep possession of the ball.

That became known as the Unseld Rule. I know this because Mikey once sweetly pointed out to me during the final seconds of a close game, ``That's what it's fucking called!''

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A goalie cannot wear the "C" on an NHL team thanks to Bill Durnan, Canadiens goalie in the late 40's who was accused by other teams of giving the Habs unofficial time-outs when he skated down the length of the ice to argue with the refs.

Although the Canucks named Luongo captain of the team, he doesn't wear the "C" and in the first season, the ref yapping was left to Willie Mitchell.

And then there's the Billie Smith rule. He used to routinely relieve pressure in his own end by shooting the puck over the glass. The NHL instituted a minor penalty to goalies for the play.

And the NHL being the NHL, they idiotically enforced it against any player who did it in their defensive zone.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Also the Fumblerooskie, which I saw executed for a TD in a game I covered.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yes, THAT Gary Gait.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, goaltending was outlawed in 1945, mainly because of Bob Kurland, but when Russell's career began, there was a sudden reemphasis in calling it.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sorry for the tone.

The originator of the thread does have 294 total posts on this board, so I assumed that he does not constantly read this board.

I read plenty of posts that I think are stupid and redundant on all of these threads, as I am sure all of us do.

Only a few people actually will post back that they think what someone posted was stupid.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, dammit. You beat me to it. I was hoping I would be the first one to mention my "namesake."

In the last two minutes of an NFL game, the only offensive player who can advance a forward fumble is the man who fumbled it. If it is recovered or advanced by a different player, the ball is ruled dead and it is placed back at the spot of the fumble.

This came after the so-called "Holy Roller" in a 1978 game between the Raiders and Chargers. Hopelessly short of the end zone on the last play of the game, Stabler fumbled the ball and it rolled forward. Running back Pete Banaszak and tight end Dave Casper both tried to recover, but in the process batted it forward, where Casper recovered for the winning touchdown.

Stabler's response when asked if he intentionally fumbled the ball? "You bet your ass I did."

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Another one I just thought of ...

After the death of minor-league coach Mike Coolbaugh, the major leagues and minor leagues ruled that all base coaches must wear helmets on the field.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They changed the NBA rule about advancing the ball to midcourt after a technical foul after the 1976 NBA Finals. Paul Westphal called a timeout the Suns didn't have. Celts made the FT, but the Suns were allowed to advance the ball to mid court, which led to the famous Gar Heard shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted