1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best athlete you played with or against

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Did he flop back then?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Until Felix came along, my favourite Leafs goalie.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Jordan Y on Indianapolis' north side drew some good comp when I played there regularly in the early 90s. I was matched up once on Vicki Hall, who played at Texas, and she schooled me, of course. Some of the Pacers would come by and play at night in the offseason. Chuck Person, befitting the star he was in this gym, made sure all the calls went his way. Micheal Williams (not Michael) popped by a lot, too. A regular in the afternoon games was Victor Fleming, Vern's twin brother, who I think lived in Vern's basement. For a while, there were these teen-aged twin girls who come play with us manly men, and both ended up college players, though as I recall, one dropped out after getting pregnant, and the other died in a van wreck on the way back from a game.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Palmateer's been a scout for the Leafs for the past few years. Asked him once if he remembered those road hockey days. He said he remembered the neighbourhood but not me.

He's also famed in these parts for telling Jim Gregory, the Leafs GM at the time, something along the lines of "Mr Gregory, you're goaltending problems are over."

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Only one guy (Keith) from our freshman class was decent enough to make the varsity basketball squad, and that was only because he played defense like a fuckin' maniac.

Third or fourth game of the year, Jasper comes rolling in with Scott Rolen starting at forward. Guess who got the defensive assignment?

And guess which future MLB third baseman hung 52 on us?

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I ran against (not in the same race, but at different times) Alan Webb, Lopez Lomong, Bobby Curtis, the cops, Josh McDougal and Dathan Ritzenhein.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

How'd the cops do?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Pick up hoops with Stevin Smith and Jamal Faulkner (former Pac-10 FOY) while in college.

Felipe Lopez, Grant Gondrezick and Jahidi White in pickup games.

Played in a foursome in front of Tom Weiskopf.

A bunch of NFL guys at training camp. No one sticks out though.

That's about all I can remember right now. I know I am forgetting a few.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

They couldn't hurdle fences, so we built a decent lead on them out of the gate.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I wrestled against Schmoogie Henson in high school.

He later managed to get my sister out of her bra. Not an easy feat considering that she was in a convent at the time.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Played former MSU basketball player Tim Bograkos when I was like 10 in a Greek Orthodox basketball tournament.

We lost by like 20 points. He was really good then too.

Also got dunked on by former MSU football player Aaron Alexander in an IM basketball game. Dunking was not allowed so he got a tech. Then he was cursing at the ref so he got kicked out of the game. He was pretty raunchy. So from then on, we called him Ronnie the Crackhead. Not too sure why.

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Did they give you any points in that game?

As for me, I played 1-on-1 with Dale Ellis and was once dunked on by Bo Outlaw in a JUCO game.

Draft saved Draft deleted