1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Sports Chants

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Feb 26, 2009.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Only. "scoreboard" is usually done in response to a stupid chant from the opposition.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That reminds me, Huggy, a couple from the Gophers hockey student section.

Gophers are full strength...

"Always were!"

[Opponent mascot] are full strength...

"That's debatable!"

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's just a southern thing or not, but down here people don't even chant it. They just start jingling keys.

The old ECW chant of "You fucked up! You fucked up!" when someone would mess up a move was also hilarious. One of my crowning moments of fandom was getting about half a section of fans chanting that at a football game after the visiting team committed a penalty.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Read a piece on Michigan (U of or Michigan State, can't remember) hockey game.

A last minute goalie call-up skates out for the game--no name on the back of his jersey.

Fans start chanting "Who are you? Who are you? Who are you?"

Still makes me laugh.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Did I read somewhere that Rangers fans still chant "Potvin Sucks" regardless of who the Rangers are playing??

From the CFL department, I give you.....

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGOOOOOOOOOS!!!

Cue JR with the Oskee-Wee-Wee crap....Hi, JR!! :D

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

At Michigan every time the lackluster basketball team won a game against MSU the fans would chant "Just like football."

Except that doesn't work anymore.

This year, State won in basketball and started chanting "Just like football." Except State fans are dumb because State has lost 6 of the the last 7 contests.

Oh and Lets Go Red Wings is huge in Detroit. You can always hear it from Wings fans at away games. When the Lions are having a bad game, which is always, sometimes the chant breaks out there. It's been known to start up at Tigers games as well.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

At the MSU and U of M hockey games during the Great Lakes Invitational every time they would say the game is sponsored by "so and so" everyone from both teams would yell "Who Cares?" It's been going on for years.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My boy Fly would agree that the chant at the Plymouth Whalers games is a classic:

Puck goes into the crowd.

PA guy: That puck brought to you by Zubor Buick.

Fans: Who cares!!!!

PA guy: Zubor cares!!!!

Fans: So what!!!!

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Speaking of hockey game sponsors, I wonder if Sheehan's Rust Proofing is still in business in Peterborough, N.H. :D

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

When I was in HS, there was a rumor that the opposing team's stud forward couldn't read.

We went with "Hooked on Phonics Worked For Me!"

That was fun, if incredibly mean.

HS hockey team I covered once had a student section that would do the Ruff Ryders Anthem as a chant after they scored:

"Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop! Oh-Oh, that's how the (team name) roll!"

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's what it is. Like I said, Zubor sponsors the GLI, and the MSU/U of M games at the Joe.

12. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Who ate all the pies?
    Who ate all the pies?
    You fat bastard
    You fat bastard
    You ate all the pies!

Draft saved Draft deleted