1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Simmons with a nice column about his dog

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 22, 2009.

1. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I've been a big Simmons detractor over the last couple of years, but this was really well done.

2. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

It's nice to see him right with some emotion. Simmons, to me, has become stale. If he wrote with that type of passion and emotion about humans, it would be a terrific read.

It's nice to see him with some versatility.

3. micke77

micke77 Member

yes, that column is all about love and passion and that's what hits home with readers and even us in the media.
    over the years, i've written some columns about very, very close friends in our profession who have died...guys whom i covered games with, hung around with, etc...opened the vein and wrote from the heart. and seemingly every time, readers would call or email and say how much it touched them. i felt that way after reading Bill's column.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My wife adopted a beagle during her first year of grad school, and last year, 12 years later, we needed to put Sadie down. The dog had been a bridge for my wife from struggling as a single women trying to make it on her own to being pregnant with her first child.

A few times I needed to consol my wife, who always wanted Sadie to meet our daughter just once but did not, when she cried like a small girl repeating how she missed her dog.

She told me that someone once told her that when pets pass on they wait for you in front of a bridge we all cross when when pass away. Then as a group we move on to the next level.

When the weather warms, we are going to rescue a beagle to go along with our little rescued dachshund. Our little girl, and hopefully our next child as well, will always have a dog. I just know Sadie's shoes will be hard to fill for my wife.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

93Devil, I'm posting this because sportschick is too busy having fun and I have no life. But this is generally hers to post.

It's what your wife was talking about.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Damn, I think she printed that exact same page. She has made a Sadie scrapbook, and I think that is the first page.

Thanks, IJAG.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I'm with you on this one. My dog is 14 years old, meaning I have had her almost my entire adult life, and I am absolutely dreading that day. I'll avoid it.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The end was pretty good, too:

The day after The Dooze left us, our little boy woke up and my wife carried him downstairs to feed him like she always does. I was still half asleep and could hear her footsteps. Then I heard this: "Day-zee. Day-zee." That part didn't make me sad. The part that made me sad happened three mornings later ... when my wife was carrying him downstairs again and he didn't say anything.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

I may get crucified for posting this......but oh well.

Say what you want about 98% of the drivel he writes about, this one has a surprisingly human feel to it.

I don't mind saying it got a little dusty in here for a second.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090122

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Re: I may get crucified for posting this......but oh well.

Do we do crucifiction for D_B's?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/66087/

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Where were you when they crucified my post?

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted