1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bob Geldof: Feed the world, just shove my song...what other songs shall we shove

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Dec 1, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, don't go dissing the Rats. I Don't Like Mondays has proved prescient over and over again. And She's So Modern rawks.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

George Harrison didn't plagiarize Phil Spector. "He's So Fine" was written by Ronnie Mack.

And I like "Got My Mind Set On You." Fuck you all. :D

3. dooley_womack1

No matter the writer, it was a Phil Spector song, and it was Spector's interpretation of the writer's material that Harrison plagiarized. Then again, you like Got My Mind Set on You, so what do you know? :D

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I have to think that George swiped some of Paul and Linda's stash when he shot the video for "Got My Mind Set On You," and was on it hardcore when he decided a dance sequence was appropriate during the guitar/sax solo.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I know that Spector had nothing to do with that song. Zilch. It was produced by The Tokens of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" fame. So there! :)

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

re: geldof, 'i don't like mondays'with the rats and his christmas song project are two wonderful, powerful songs. i don't give a rat's ass (punny) if every other song he's done is crap, those two alone to me justify the rest of his catalogue.

those here who try to crap on anyone for appreciating a song they don't are... well, y'all get my drift. but then again i'm quite sure there are film elitist snobs who contend godfather I/II are overrated pieces of junk.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I love Google news archives...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=tHsfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=NFMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7359,2699978&dq=godfather+pacino&hl=en

Here is a bad review of the Godfather.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Certainly nothing wrong with the Boomtown Rats. I still dig stuff like "It's All The Rage", "Up All Night" and "Banana Republic". And Geldof's book, written not long after Live Aid, "Is That It?" is great.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Here's another vote of support for The Boomtown Rats. The whole "Fine Art of Surfacing" album is tremendous.

They do seem pretty dated now. Not a particularly unusual problem, though -- I remember Elvis Costello suggesting that the keyboards on "Goodbye Cruel World" (I think) dated the recording to a specific week in 1984.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That George Harrison song, and in fact the whole album, was the beginning of his association with Jeff Lynne of ELO and later the Traveling Wilburys. Nearly four years' worth of channel changes. Throw in hair metal's peak at about that time, and it was a bleak period.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'd like to take this opportunity to say the "My Sweet Lord" plagiarism ruling was complete bullshit by a fucking idiot judge who knew nothing about music, and under the standards he set for "plagiarism," probably 95% of all "pop" songs are plagiarized to some extent.

There are only so many three- and four-chord progressions in the world.

12. dooley_womack1

I should know better than to go mano a mano on pop culture with you. But Spector did help produce All Things Must Pass. Not that I fail any less, but still

Draft saved Draft deleted