1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cincinnati Bengals columnist -- Cincinnati Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Feb 12, 2015.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Cincinnati.com and The Enquirer are seeking a top-notch Bengals’ Columnist.

In this role:

• 50% of your focus is the 25-45 year old audience.
    • You are more knowledgeable about the Bengals -- ownership, players and fans -- than any other media. You get access to players, coaches and owners unlike any other media. You know what changes they're making, what they're thinking, what makes them tick.
    • You are the news leader in your field. You are competitive; you rarely get beat.
    • You bring readers insight, not just facts. You tell me not just what happened at the game but why and what it means. You bring me understanding that changes how I watch the game, understand the team and the NFL.
    • You produce a balanced mix of "game" content, fun experience-based content, storytelling, in-depth issue and trend reporting, and video content.
    • You are comfortable with voice -- you bring your unique voice to all your stories, social media, video appearances and public appearances. You are comfortable sharing some personal information that helps 25-45 year olds create a personal connection to you.
    • You engage your audience consistently throughout the week -- you build a true community and relationship around your coverage. Your audience engages back with you.
    • You continually initiate new techniques in your coverage to meet the interests and needs of 25-45 year olds.
    • You work with an advertising partner to grow and monetize the 25-45 audience.

Job duties:

• Produces a blog and digital content at Cincinnati.com and on social media, as changes happen, that break news, offer insights and analysis, take readers inside the locker room and behind the scenes with players, coaches and ownership. The content must exhibit your analysis and perspective and have unique personality and voice. 60%
    • Produces video, podcast and other programming content. Often hosts the programming. Monitors audience and revenue results and continuously creates new segments and approaches to grow audience and revenue. 20%
    • Creates and hosts audience events that gain new audience and revenue. 20%
    • Self-directed and works with minimal supervision.

As a part of Gannett Co., Inc., the nation's largest media and marketing solutions company, we offer a dynamic, community-focused environment where individuals are rewarded for exceptional performance. We offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health care, dental and vision coverage, flexible spending account, 401(k), paid vacation time, personal and sick leave, and tuition reimbursement. Pre-employment drug testing and background screening are required.

We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. At Gannett we accept and respect the diversity of everyone. Diversity of experience, culture, education, interests, race and ethnicity, age, socio-economics, physical abilities, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, religion, and other beliefs breed innovation and power ideas. Diversity is the foundation of Gannett.

Career Opportunities: Bengals Columnist (42805)

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I hope Kevin Goheen gets it.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

They're looking for a professional fan.
    It's not a bad thing. There are so many columnists out there writing for the "readers" while ignoring the most coveted demo. The 25-45 want someone they think is a fan covering the team and there's definitely a good way to do it. Really curious to see how this plays out, especially since many columnists write more for the 45 and up crowd.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The ad buried the lede:

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Kevin Goheen's agent is posting. ;)

Seriously, he would be good given his background.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Always liked Kevin. One of my friends who used to work at The Cincy Post was hired by the Enquirer a couple years ago, so I'd love to see another wind up there too.

I always root for good things to happen to good people... :D

steveu likes this.
  7. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

The Enquirer had Kevin working for them for four years as a stringer and kept getting passed over, which is one of the big reasons why he went to Fox Sports Ohio.
    Plus with some of the stuff that has happened there the past 12 months and the number of people who have left, this would be a "job seeker beware" type of opening.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I will say he's got a good background! Let's see what happens.

9. PMurph77

PMurph77 New Member

If they are looking for a "professional fan," are looking to appease a relatively young demographic, and have had trouble keep writers over the past year, would this be a potential opportunity for a younger writer looking to really get into the business?

10. STLwriter

STLwriter Member

I wonder what age bracket they're targeting here.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

But don't they have a top-notch coaching staff?

12. RecoveringJournalist

It's Gannett, so probably no older than 22. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted