1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clarion-Ledger Miss. State beat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RustyHampton, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

This will soon be posted at journalismjobs.com.

The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Miss., has an immediate opening for a beat writer to cover Mississippi State. The reporter will live in Starkville and be responsible for coverage of all MSU athletics. The successful candidate will be well-versed in all multi-media aspects of beat reporting that go well beyond writing stories for the next day’s newspaper. Two years experience as a major college beat writer required, preferrably in the SEC. Send a cover letter, resume and clips to sports editor Rusty Hampton at rhampton@clarionledger.com. Include a link to your Twitter account and blog, plus any video work you’ve done. Clips should include stories you’ve broken and enterprise or projects you’ve produced. No phone calls please.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Where is Kyle going?

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

my pipeline, which isn't nearly as good as moddy's, says kyle guy will be moving to cover that school a little north and west of Starkvegas but in the same state and conference.

4. Larry Holder

Larry Holder New Member

So where's David going?

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Living in Starkville has its ups and downs, but this is an SEC beat for a statewide paper, and a pretty good crew to work for. Those interested shouldn't delay.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I knew he couldn't betray his alma mater forever.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

He's taking Chris Talbott's old job with the AP in Jackson.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Ah, to be single again, and free to roam the earth doing as I pleased, when I wanted, for ever how long ...

Good luck to Kyle, David and whoever fills in the open spot.
    As is posted permanently here somewhere on SportsJournalists.com, "they are not the story, but rather the storytellers."

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

A big-time job working for a big-time paper and a big-time SE, naturally covering a big-time conference. And did I mention big shoes to fill? Should be interesting to watch ...

rb

10. For someone, there is a future in Starkville even if you skip watching those Kroger trucks unload. That's stolen from John Feinstein, who stole it from Wimp Sanderson. I'm certainly not going to diss a town I've never been to.

Then again, seeing as how I refuse to use Twitter, not like I have anyone to worry about offending.

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Kyle and David are good people. All the best to whoever gets the Mississippi State gig.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I feel for Rusty H., a friend from way back, having to shuffle the deck chairs this close to kickoff. He doesn't get paid enough – but I woulda said that anyway.

The big winner in all this? Papers like ours, which will be able to count on David to revive a moribund AP state sports report. Next best thing to being able to hire him myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.