1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College basketball coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Greenberg is out. No new coach hired as of now.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Will they put a red circle with a cross through it over his head now that the news is out?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I just finished watching the presser. From what I could understand, Weaver was concerned about the exodus of three assistants and a the DOBO (dir. of basketball operations). The final straw apparently was assistant James Johnson heading to Clemson. Weaver went to the school Prez and got the go-ahead to bump up a financial package comparable to what Clemson was offering.

Johnson went to Clemson anyway. There are unconfirmed stories that when all four had their exit interviews, whatever they said, it may have not been very positive about Greenberg.

Very strange timing of this.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Word is Greenberg had a recruit on campus today. Bizarre timing.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

VT botched this thing. In so many ways. Here, let the best columnist in the state tell you....

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/mcfarling/wb/307858

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not familiar with Aaron's work, but that's a haircut you could set your watch to!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't know about his hair - haven't seen him in a while. But Aaron is an exceptionally good columnist. Not a screamer, not afraid to bring the wood either. Doesn't "shout" to hear himself shout.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ha! Yeah. They're no Bama Bangs, though!

I posed the Shaka to VT thing to BYH a few weeks ago. Doesn't really make much sense, unless the VCU AD situation and the upcoming A-10 move pisses him off.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Can't imagine VT paying more than Illinois did and they'll be plenty unstable for the next year or two. At least whoever becomes coach doesn't have to worry about firing any staff.

Wonder who'll take the AD job at VCU. Does Florida have any young assistant ADs?

I guess this is better suited for the conference expansion/reorganization/donkey show thread, but the A-10 that much a better destination than the Colonial for a couple of public Virginia schools? Temple's out, Charlotte will be soon and UMass might follow as well. Xavier, Dayton and (presumably) Butler are great, but into each life some Duquesne and LaSalle must fall. Yeah, the A-10 has a better at-large bid record over the last 10 years, but the Colonial is trending up and have two schools (VCU and Drexel) getting top eight seeds in Joe Lunardi's silly little pre-pre-preseason Bracketology. If Mason and VCU hit the road, the CAA could be dead. JMU, Delaware and ODU will have to fast forward whatever FBS plans they have, and the rest of the schools are in trouble deep. William & Mary in the Big South? UNCW in the Atlantic Sun? Towson in the CIAA? (maybe not the last one).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Virginia Tech could hire John L. Smith, I hear he is available even though he just took another job somewhere else....oh wait a minute.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I hear Tubby will listen. Just signed an extension, but damn it, he wants his name connected to every opening in America.

By the way, North Texas looks like it may have made a pretty good hire yesterday. Considering they are likely headed for C-USA (or whatever that's going to be), they didn't settle. Would have been interested to see what would have happened with Fraschilla:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/_/id/7850281/tony-benford-hired-new-north-texas-mean-green-head-coach

Draft saved Draft deleted