1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College Football/GA Reporter- Syracuse, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1560646

Company: Syracuse Media Group
    Position:
    College Football / General Assignment
    Reporter
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    March 4, 2014
    Job ID: 1560646
    Website: http://syracuse.jobinfo.com/description.php?jid=21100569&adid=119780

Description:

This is your opportunity to leverage your strong reporting skills, indulge your passion for sports, connect directly with your audience, and enjoy a good deal of variety as you develop news strategies for covering Division 1 football and other local sports. You will not only cover games, you will also report on the fan experience -- from ticket prices to identifying poor performances. You will post to multiple digital platforms several times a day, directly interacting with your audience and developing ideas to continuously engage that audience. To help you optimize your impact, we've created a forward-thinking workspace with state-of-the-art tools for nimble digital and mobile journalism. If you're ready to develop a journalism career for the future, built on the foundation of an industry leader with a tremendous history of success, the role of Sports Reporter is an outstanding opportunity.

Syracuse is the economic and educational hub of Central New York, with Syracuse University right here and Cornell, Colgate and other top schools nearby -- ideal if you're considering continuing your education. Here you'll enjoy the stimulating environment of a college town as well as other great amenities. In fact, Syracuse was ranked 4th on Forbes' 2010 list of Top Ten Places to Raise a Family, and 8th on CareerBliss.com's 2012 list of Happiest Cities for Work in the US.

To be a good fit for the College Football Sports Reporter opportunity, you will have:
    Solid journalism experience, including a track record of success in sports reporting
    A bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications or a related field. We also will consider non-degreed candidates with significant relevant experience
    Broad knowledge of sports, specifically including college football, and the versatility to adapt to the nuances of diverse sports
    Demonstrated familiarity with social media and the digital tools of journalism
    Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience in sports
    Strong critical thinking skills and a focus on creating content for the audience rather than promoting particular teams, players or coaches
    A proven ability to cultivate sources beyond the obvious ones
    The ability to work independently and prioritize tasks appropriately under deadline pressure in mobile contexts
    Click the "Apply" button for further details...
    Syracuse Media Group is a digitally focused news and information company serving Central New York. Syracuse Media Group publishes and operates an extensive portfolio of digital and print products featuring comprehensive in-depth content from Central New York's largest news organization. Syracuse Media Group's flagship brands are syracuse.com, the leading website in the region and The Post-Standard newspaper which has served the community since 1829.

Syracuse Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.

Syracuse Media Group endeavors to make syracuse.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact thawkins@dtoolbox.com.

IMPORTANT: HOW TO APPLY

We want you to be as selective as we are! For a detailed "Insider's View" of this position and to submit your resume, please visit the following URL:

http://syracuse.jobinfo.com/description.php?jid=21100569&adid=119780

If the link does not work, simply copy the complete URL and paste it into your browser's address line.

PLEASE RESPECT OUR RECRUITMENT PROCESS. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER METHOD TO APPLY OR CLICK ANY OTHER BUTTONS. Thank you for your attention to this detail.

2. valpo87

valpo87 Guest

I know this might be a dumb question, but what is the salary range? I know this is a D1 gig for a big name university.

3. SP7988

SP7988 Member

^was wondering as well.

4. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Somebody feel free to correct me, but I'm guessing since this isn't necessarily Syracuse football coverage, the salary may be high 30s, low 40s.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I can't vouch for sure, but I believe this is the top Syracuse football job. I forget where their guy went, except I think it was within the chain.

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I know Michael Cohen left somewhat recently, but he went to the Commercial-Appeal.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

That's who I was thinking of, bound. I believe he was the No. 1 guy for football there, but I could be wrong. :)

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Patrick Stevens had some SU football stuff on their website earlier this week.

9. NHMafia

NHMafia Member

This is Cohen's old job. Was told by a source at syracuse.com that they weren't sure they would fill this at all when he left, since the football coverage is done by a handful of people. I believe Nate Mink is also on the beat while Bud Poliquin handles some columns and Brent Axe does the AP voting. I think there's a few other guys that help on the coverage, too, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

10. SP7988

SP7988 Member

Any updates on this??

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Two months until spring practice and then three "dead" months after that. If I'm management, I wouldn't be in a hurry unless there's a can't miss candidate.

12. SportsWriter23

SportsWriter23 New Member

Any update here?

Draft saved Draft deleted